Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I'M going to email Mr. Vaughn and ask him if he is one. I have been researching on here all afternoon and I cant find any Jersey Gaint Master breeders.
hu.gif

there has got be a list some where? I also call the District phone # for our District and the # had been disconnected here is the info I called
do you know any thing Wynette?

District III
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Tim Johnson, 17650 W. Poe, Weston OH 43569, (419)354-0424

Somebody at the Chickenstock in NC had a pair of really, really, really, nice pullets. Don't know who it was, though, maybe they'll see this and speak up. Whomever it was might know a master breeder. Have you checked the Jersey Giant website?

I'M going to email Mr. Vaughn and ask him if he is one. I have been researching on here all afternoon and I cant find any Jersey Gaint Master breeders.
hu.gif

there has got be a list some where? I also call the District phone # for our District and the # had been disconnected here is the info I called

District III

I would contact the APA, as "Master Breeder" is their program - surely they would have a list of them. In fact, I'll send a shout-out to Walt Leonard - he's a judge & head of the APA's Standards Committee - he'll most definitley know.

As far as Tim - I think that number is incorrect; I had an inquiry of someone wanting birds from my line, and he told me he'd called Tim at the number above and it is disconnected.....Oh, sheesh, you just said that. Sorry! No, I have never heard from Mr. Johnson. I'll look into it, though.

hu.gif

District III

If you belong to the APA they send out every year a Year Book. That has all the stats etc. You want to look for people that have all their points on JG's., if that is what you want to find. The exception to that would be the Grand master Exhibitors as they may have more than 100 points in more than one variety. these are generally good breeders. Keep in mind that there are a number of exhibitors that only show birds they buy....they are not usually breeders. Read the stats and then ask around. The show poultry world becomes very small when you want to know who the real breeders are and who is buying birds. When someone is bragging about wins ask how many birds did you beat? that is the bottom line. Awards don't always mean anything in terms of the birds quality.

Walt

AWE! What a gem of a boy! I'm sure there are Giant master breeders, but don't tell him! Surely Bob Vaughn, among others, is one.
I said the same thing when I was 7, I needed more coop space and a neighbor that's willing to take the culls first!

After my only JG rooster from Golda Miller's lines died... I did a mistake (or was it?) of immediately putting eggs in the bator without anymore coop space! I had 3 eggs (only ones I could salvage) 1 didn't develop, and ones air cell was too tiny! So of course the final one hatched and he didn't eat or drink because he was lonely... so we went to the feed store to get 2 BO's for him. He lived... and was a rooster! (
celebrate.gif
) Yes,yes, I had chicks in my room for 6 months and they destroyed my bed... Then he got side sprigs... then he had an accident learning how to roost and got a slipped tendon and broke part of his wing permanently.

After loosing a few chickens (and one of the BO's) to a bobcat I had space to put them in the pen. (Fluffy my JG rooster got his own pen). I was going to do artificial insemination with him and his mother who has got numerous high awards.

Are the side sprigs going to be passed on? His mother and father didn't have side sprigs (father went through Marek's for 6 months in my room and recovered from seizures, one leg sticking forward, paralyzed) and mother never got Marek's.

I bred my OEGB bantam pair (male had white specks on earlobes) and I was told the white may appear on his hatching's. The 2 best: a cockerel and a pullet, have no white on their earlobes. But the other cockerel did.

Just wondering if some will have side sprigs and some won't...? I was going to raise a few as a heritage meat pen maybe for the fair sometime...
While doing our chores after the boys get off the bus from school yesterday. My youngest asked if we were a Master Breeders....Oh hunny, no we are not Master Breeders they have worked long and very hard to get the title of Master Breeder. Just a couple of wins doesn't get a breeder there. So then my oldest ask if we got our JG from a Master Breeder. I told him I didn't think so. Did I know of any Master Breeder in the JG Breed? I don't... Any one here know of a JG Master Breeder?. Then my son said he was going to be the first Master Breeder of the Jersey Giants. For a 13 yr old boy I sure hope he does!!!
thumbsup.gif

By the way... I came back from the county fair 2 wks ago and I couldn't bring my JG hen because she started to molt. Everything went AWESOME though! 1st place in Advanced 4H Poultry Showmanship. Definitely a weekend to wrap up the year!!

Last edited:
Folk, unfortunately, yes, side sprigs will breed forward. If neither parent had them, then they are BOTH recessive for it. That's what it would take to be visually seen in the offspring. I'm afraid you'd be chasing bad after bad if you use him for breeding back to his mother, knowing she's recessive for it. I'm sorry!
sad.png

Folk, unfortunately, yes, side sprigs will breed forward. If neither parent had them, then they are BOTH recessive for it. That's what it would take to be visually seen in the offspring. I'm afraid you'd be chasing bad after bad if you use him for breeding back to his mother, knowing she's recessive for it. I'm sorry!
sad.png
Aw, that's too bad.
sad.png
But at least he's a good roo to us humans!

Thanks for the info Wynette!!

I am new to this breed and enjoying learning about it... but finding good breeders are difficult!

I would breed for size then type...

Does anybody know what are the good lines and good breeders for those qualities? I will be doing B/B/S.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom