Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

are these hatchery stock? yes should be red -no white ear lobes. They will lay you an egg.
no they were sposed to be show stock birds . and you cant see from the picture but there ear lobes are white just like a minorcas are ??? dont think they are pure but not sure what they are crossed with ??? thanks john w when i get over there agian i will try to take some better pics and post them !!!

no wynette they are white just like minorca is ??? it dint show in the picture it was taken with a phone and not a good one either lol i dont think they are pure and were suposed to be from show stock birds never seen any jerseys look like this in any pictures ??? dont know what they would be crossed with not one has a speck of yellow on there feet either was not looking for egg chickens was looking for show stock ??? thanks john w
Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous breeders out there who ought not to be calling themselves "breeders" at all. Sigh. That said, we all need to remember that just because a chick came from stock that has been proven in the show ring does not necessarily mean the offspring will be. In fact, I find I keep only about 10% of my hatchlings for showing/breeding. Cull heavily, and you will end up with nice stock. However, the fact that they do not have yellow on the bottoms of their feet is definitely not a good sign...plus the white lobes...not a good sign at all, I'm sorry to say. I DO know of a very prominent breeder (name all over the place) who sells their cull stock as "pet quality" - they are those without yellow feet, etc. This person recently got out of chickens completely, so hopefully that issue will not be reproduced. The problem comes when buyers are told they are getting purebred stock...which they ARE...but when some buyers hear "purebred" they equate that to "show quality" which is never the case. You need to ask a lot of questions, and come right out and ask, "Are these your culls? If so, can you show me why you will not be using them as breeders?" Most breeders are happy to let you know why they will not be using a certain bird for breeding.

You can tell from our pictures on Facebook and on our website, that none of our Jersey Giants have white ear lobes. Neither have I ever had anyone else tell me that theirs turned out this way. I have only had 1 complaint and I am not naming any names. We also state that we can not guarantee offspring to be show quality. All of this can be verified at our website. I run a hobby farm and do the best I can, but those pictures do not look anything like what I have. We do not raise any other breeds that resemble Jersey Giants other than the Jersey Giants so no mistakes were made on the order. I just wanted to clarify my position. I appreciate all the support out there.

You can tell from our pictures on Facebook and on our website, that none of our Jersey Giants have white ear lobes. Neither have I ever had anyone else tell me that theirs turned out this way. I have only had 1 complaint and I am not naming any names. We also state that we can not guarantee offspring to be show quality. All of this can be verified at our website. I run a hobby farm and do the best I can, but those pictures do not look anything like what I have. We do not raise any other breeds that resemble Jersey Giants other than the Jersey Giants so no mistakes were made on the order. I just wanted to clarify my position. I appreciate all the support out there.
To clarify, I didn't know you were the seller (I didn't recall reading that). My comment was not directly specifically at you - if I've offended you, that was not my intention. I have always said that the buyer is just as responsible to know what they are getting as the seller should be for letting them know. There simply isn't a perfect bird out there, hence why we have the SOP to breed to.

That said...there are lessons that can be learned from this...if names were named, that's really not appropriate. If you have a dispute with a seller, contact them privately (wearing my moderator hat now). It's fine to post pictures & ask questions about your stock, but please do not post who they are from if you are posting negative things about them. Just ask your question, and those of us who have been breeding for awhile will be happy to give feedback. Again - ask tons of questions up-front!! (on a personal note, I, as a breeder, welcome ALL feedback, good and bad. You need to know what may be "lurking" in your flocks in order to move forward.)

Last edited:
Don't worry Wynette, I wasn't offended by you at all. I was responding to the topic over the last 2 pages. I did not name any names, but someone else did on Post 3913. I felt I should throw my two cents in because of that...again.

Last edited:
want brahmas - they don't look white to me - to me, they simply appear as if they're lacking the skin pigment that they have as adults, but it's REALLY hard to tell from the pics. If you can get some close up pics of the heads of them standing still, so not blurry, we'll be able to provide better feedback for you.

4-h - I like that male! BTW...I have a man looking for a cock bird....he's in southern Michigan. If you have anything, PM me.
I would tend to agree that might be the case. If you look in the last photo that 4hmother posted the lobs look very similar.

Another question I would ask is what are you feeding. My giants feet looked almost pure white at 9 months. I added a little scratch, tossed in a flock block, and they are most definitely yellow now, a lot more than 3 months ago.

I would tend to agree that might be the case. If you look in the last photo that 4hmother posted the lobs look very similar.

Another question I would ask is what are you feeding. My giants feet looked almost pure white at 9 months. I added a little scratch, tossed in a flock block, and they are most definitely yellow now, a lot more than 3 months ago.
Interesting that you mentioned this - on another thread just this morning, we've been discussing Marigold extract. Apparently, oil of Marigold used to be put into most commercial feeds, but is not longer added. Some are saying that if you put a few drops of the extract into your waterers, it will have the same effect that adding corn to your feed routine will. I may try it, just for fun!

Don't worry Wynette, I wasn't offended by you at all. I was responding to the topic over the last 2 pages. I did not name any names, but someone else did on Post 3913. I felt I should throw my two cents in because of that...again.
Goondess, I didn't even notice it. You definitely have to have a thick skin if you're going to breed. Just do the very best you can - no one can fault you for that!
smile.png

I feed Game Bird Layena (breeder) plus local feed mill Layer mix to all of my flock past 6 months of age. Before that I do feed Hubbard Chick Starter.
But I have never noticed the lack of yellow on the under footage of the any age of our chickens. Yes on the pale ear lobs until they reach a better maturity.
It seem that some pullets take for ever to grow a comb.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom