Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have a question to all-asking advice?
roll.png
We are getting ready to build a new barn/coop for the chickens one large building 10x40 with 4 individual coops on each corner with out door runs on each. Any way I have decided to put concrete flooring in the building. It has come to my attention from another chicken breeder that concrete is bad for chickens. My main reason for concrete was for easy clean up and quarterly spraying down the floor. Now even with concrete flooring I plan to use wood shavings as bedding. This breeder says that concrete holds more moister and problems with bumble feet.

I will have no roosts on the JG coops with 18x18 nest .
idunno.gif

Any input about this would be very helpful . We have not started constuction yet waiting on weather.
We are planning to spend quite a bit of money to get this done right one time. So I would love any input you can throw my way!

I have heard that sand is great for chickens and doesn't hold water. It also has natural grit if you don't use the play sand. We have considered using it, but haven't made the transition yet.

I have a question to all-asking advice?
roll.png
We are getting ready to build a new barn/coop for the chickens one large building 10x40 with 4 individual coops on each corner with out door runs on each. Any way I have decided to put concrete flooring in the building. It has come to my attention from another chicken breeder that concrete is bad for chickens. My main reason for concrete was for easy clean up and quarterly spraying down the floor. Now even with concrete flooring I plan to use wood shavings as bedding. This breeder says that concrete holds more moister and problems with bumble feet.

I will have no roosts on the JG coops with 18x18 nest .
idunno.gif

Any input about this would be very helpful . We have not started constuction yet waiting on weather.
We are planning to spend quite a bit of money to get this done right one time. So I would love any input you can throw my way!
I have never had chickens on concrete, but will pass on what I have seen with other aninmals.

Most Dairy farmers in our area have barns that are all concrete floors. With very few exceptions, all the tie stalls have mats over the concrete, and bedding on top of the mats. Most free stall cows also have mats where the lay, just no bedding. Most horse people in older barns have taken the concrete floors out of the horse stalls, or have put mats down.

I know when I stand all day on concrete with shoes on mind you, my feet are sore, where that doesn't happen in the garden, at work, etc.

From a building stand point a concrete floor makes a lot of sense. I know it would be an added expense, by maybe look into mats. I am sure others will chime in here.Rubber mats clean easily, and it would take chickens 1000 years to wear them down ;)

Framac

Hi everybody,
I just found your thread and have enjoyed looking at all your beautiful birds!!! I recently got 10 black jersey giant chicks from ideal poultry. I doubt mine will be as gorgeous as what I've seen on here but I am hopeful!! :) I am just a small timer trying to grow my flock as much as my DW will let me. I hope to be able to post some pics later as they grow. Just gotta get the Internet working at the house again. Lol well hope everyone has a nice day!
TTFN

All I can say about concrete is that it will last a long time and you probably want to seal it for moisture reasons. I don't have a concrete floor in my coop, but chickens love to poop all over concrete walk ways and car port floor. Scrubbing poop off the sealed concrete in the carport is easier than scrubbing it off the unsealed walk ways.

Don't know much about moisture issues... since in the PNW, everything is a moisture issue and is taken as normal. LOL But, I do know concrete is porous unless sealed such as in concrete ponds that are sealed to hold water... or in the case of a coop, perhaps to exclude water.

All I can say about concrete is that it will last a long time and you probably want to seal it for moisture reasons. I don't have a concrete floor in my coop, but chickens love to poop all over concrete walk ways and car port floor. Scrubbing poop off the sealed concrete in the carport is easier than scrubbing it off the unsealed walk ways.

Don't know much about moisture issues... since in the PNW, everything is a moisture issue and is taken as normal. LOL But, I do know concrete is porous unless sealed such as in concrete ponds that are sealed to hold water... or in the case of a coop, perhaps to exclude water.
there is a sealer for concrete that mechanics love, designed for aircraft hanger floors, seals out most chemicals if I remember correctly. google it to see if you can find it

I'm looking for Exhibition quality Blue or Black Jersey Giant hatching eggs and was wondering if anyone on this group has any hatching eggs of that quality available...Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom