Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Wynette,

That is a cutie!

That does help!
celebrate.gif

Keep them coming!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
am not out of the woods yet but getting there!
caf.gif

Herman

I don't know if anyone can offer any advice or input on this one but I'll toss it out there. My Jersey Giant will be three years old this October. She did a hard/ugly molt at about 14 months. Replaced all her feathers and was beautiful. But the following year, she didn't molt. Now she does have fatty liver disease confirmed by blood work the vet did. He gave her a 10 day course of samE or is is SAMe and I saw a big improvement in her. Back to her active, chatty old self. She lays me a beautiful spotted egg about 5 days a week and really seems to be doing great.

I no longer give fatty seeds as treats. She gets a little bite of banana, greens, mash (watered down feed) in an effort to not make her fatty liver disease any worse and she seems to be doing great.

But I'm really eager for her to molt. She's starting to look really ragged. She's got some bald patches that you can see when she ruffles her feathers. And when I feel her, I thought she had pin feathers coming in but they are just broken feathers. I feel awful for her but she doesn't seem to care.

I'm in CA where the weather is mild so I'm not worried about her being cold.

Any insight on this or when she might molt? Will she stick to her schedule and molt the same time of the year she did her first molt? Or perhaps she could molt anytime. I'd love for her to do it in the summer months and not winter. I know that's a really weird question to answer but thought maybe someone has experienced something similar.

First, Azer, to "cull" does not necessarily mean to dispatch. It means that you will not use them in a breeding program, or have removed them from a pen. In this case, these birds were sold as "backyard layers."

Melissa, okay, let's look at the picture & discuss. While it's difficult to tell all you need to know to evaluate a bird in a picture, here are some of the negatives about these birds:

They didn't even come close to making the weights they should have been at, per the SOP. They were all much too light.

If you look carefully a the foot of the splash bird to the right, you can see (though it's hard to tell) that her foot pads are not yelow - none of them had yellow foot pads. That is a DQ, per the SOP. I would never use a Giant without yellow foot pads in a breeding program.

Looking again at the splash (becuase we can't really evaluate the black) hen, note how her back is not flat, long, and horizontal like the SOP calls for. They also all (the females) had pinched tails, which is a fault. The tails are not shaped correctly, either.

On the male, while he was a handsome bloke, his back is MUCH too short. It looks like the base of his tail practically is attached to back of his neck!

Okay, Herman...here are some more. This is the same male above when he was younger. You can see the foot pads in this picture, and clearly see they are not yellow, but pink:

Here is a blue male from a different line than the male above, but another line I did not keep. This male had better size, and I liked him better overall, but his tail angle was too low, and again, no yellow foot pads. He also never reached quite 11#, so still too small. He had a nice underline, though. And it was much nicer, even, as a 2-year old adult (though I do not have pictures of him at that age). In this picture, he's a bit over a year old.

Tee-hee....I just love this pic. You can even still see the egg tooth, and look how his nostril has black all around it. Kind of unusual.

Okay, now HERE you go. This is a female from the line that I have now. She is 20 -22 weeks, I believe, in this picture, but you can see already that she'll have very nice type. Look at that long, horizontal back! While some can have backs that are TOO long (we discussed this some months ago), hers is just right. I really do need to get some better pictures of the adults that I have now, but this female, to me, was the best I had ever had on my farm, and marked the cornerstone of my current program. Can they be improved? SURE they can! But this is a lovely start for me.

First, Azer, to "cull" does not necessarily mean to dispatch. It means that you will not use them in a breeding program, or have removed them from a pen. In this case, these birds were sold as "backyard layers."

Melissa, okay, let's look at the picture & discuss. While it's difficult to tell all you need to know to evaluate a bird in a picture, here are some of the negatives about these birds:

They didn't even come close to making the weights they should have been at, per the SOP. They were all much too light.

If you look carefully a the foot of the splash bird to the right, you can see (though it's hard to tell) that her foot pads are not yelow - none of them had yellow foot pads. That is a DQ, per the SOP. I would never use a Giant without yellow foot pads in a breeding program.

Looking again at the splash (becuase we can't really evaluate the black) hen, note how her back is not flat, long, and horizontal like the SOP calls for. They also all (the females) had pinched tails, which is a fault. The tails are not shaped correctly, either.

On the male, while he was a handsome bloke, his back is MUCH too short. It looks like the base of his tail practically is attached to back of his neck!

Okay, Herman...here are some more. This is the same male above when he was younger. You can see the foot pads in this picture, and clearly see they are not yellow, but pink:

Here is a blue male from a different line than the male above, but another line I did not keep. This male had better size, and I liked him better overall, but his tail angle was too low, and again, no yellow foot pads. He also never reached quite 11#, so still too small. He had a nice underline, though. And it was much nicer, even, as a 2-year old adult (though I do not have pictures of him at that age). In this picture, he's a bit over a year old.

Tee-hee....I just love this pic. You can even still see the egg tooth, and look how his nostril has black all around it. Kind of unusual.

Okay, now HERE you go. This is a female from the line that I have now. She is 20 -22 weeks, I believe, in this picture, but you can see already that she'll have very nice type. Look at that long, horizontal back! While some can have backs that are TOO long (we discussed this some months ago), hers is just right. I really do need to get some better pictures of the adults that I have now, but this female, to me, was the best I had ever had on my farm, and marked the cornerstone of my current program. Can they be improved? SURE they can! But this is a lovely start for me.

bow.gif
Wynette.......GREAT POST!

Back
Top Bottom