Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

For me, it doens't make sense to grow them for the purpose of using your culls for meat birds. It's cost prohibitive due to them taking so long to grow out. So that's not my main purpose for them. Mine are bred for exhibition. It's not a breed to get into lightly, if exhibition is your goal, due to them being slow growers. That said, they definitley do make for a large meal (though crockpot your Giant culls since they're older and can be tougher).

So you use yours as meaties? That had been my original intention, but given how long it takes them to reach maturity I was second thinking the idea. Was leaning more toward the Brahmas for meaties. I won't do Cornish X. I know a lot of people have had success with them, but given what I've heard about most I just can't do that. I want a healthy breed. I also don't want to feed a meatie for a year before I can have it processed either. Doesn't really make sense financially.
hmm.png

my mane purpose is raising JG to the Standard of Perfection in my flock. I hatch lrg # and cull to the Standard for the best show bird. I have yet to eat one. I usually have extras for other 4-Hers to show.
feed ratio is not good on these for just meat birds Jersey Giant are more of a dual purpose bird.

For me, it doens't make sense to grow them for the purpose of using your culls for meat birds. It's cost prohibitive due to them taking so long to grow out. So that's not my main purpose for them. Mine are bred for exhibition. It's not a breed to get into lightly, if exhibition is your goal, due to them being slow growers. That said, they definitley do make for a large meal (though crockpot your Giant culls since they're older and can be tougher).

my mane purpose is raising JG to the Standard of Perfection in my flock. I hatch lrg # and cull to the Standard for the best show bird. I have yet to eat one. I usually have extras for other 4-Hers to show.
feed ratio is not good on these for just meat birds Jersey Giant are more of a dual purpose bird.
Ok, gotcha. That does make sense. I do love them though. We've got a Black Australorp roo right now. The shiny black feathers with the green in them when the light hits it and the bright red comb and waddles is just so striking!

Ok, so maybe I'll focus on the Brahmas for meaties and just get some JG because...............well, because they're big and beautiful!

Last edited:
Okay, all you chicken spouses...please take note of the above.
wink.png

BEST of luck, friend!

Got mine for Christmas and that is why I was talking to Wynette about eggs this morning! Unfortunately not able to coordinate supply & hatching this time. The BBS JG eggs I am getting are for my Granddaughter but after spending hours today
hide.gif

going through this thread - I am seeing the all around appeal of this breed. Now I know where to come when - I mean if
wink.png

we need more eggs!

Lori

Got mine for Christmas and that is why I was talking to Wynette about eggs this morning! Unfortunately not able to coordinate supply & hatching this time. The BBS JG eggs I am getting are for my Granddaughter but after spending hours today
hide.gif

going through this thread - I am seeing the all around appeal of this breed. Now I know where to come when - I mean if
wink.png

we need more eggs!

Lori
LOL! I'd wanted Brahmas too, partly because I think they're handsome roos and partly for meaties. But honestly, I'm leaning toward adding some more White Rocks for meaties and getting some JG just for the grand stature. LOL

We may need to start a Jersey Giants addict section on here. We might all need some therapy!

Do Brahmas fill out better/faster than a Giant?

The few I have handled looked big, but had a lot of feathers/fluff, and no more meat than my JG at 8 months.

Up to 26 eggs, should have 32-34 by Friday.

Framac

3/4 of my 52 1st jersey giant hatching of the year are chirping away I my hatcher. First hatch from my blue Roos over my black and blue hens. Only a few splashes so far, since I only have a few blue hens. Fun to have my first fuzzy butts of the season. Will put a pic up tomorrow when I get them out of the hatcher.
I have 55 more that have been in the incubator for a week and putting in 52 more tomorrow. :D

3/4 of my 52 1st jersey giant hatching of the year are chirping away I my hatcher. First hatch from my blue Roos over my black and blue hens. Only a few splashes so far, since I only have a few blue hens. Fun to have my first fuzzy butts of the season. Will put a pic up tomorrow when I get them out of the hatcher.
I have 55 more that have been in the incubator for a week and putting in 52 more tomorrow.
big_smile.png
WOOT! FANTASTIC - congrats, looking forward to pics!

Back
Top Bottom