Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I haven't done breeding before....I will have to see how it goes. First I will have to see how my chicks turn out and from what I've read year 3 is usually the year breeders get discouraged and quit. I enjoy chickens no matter what so it won't be a problem. I can understand why you need to inform people what type chicks or eggs they are getting. I'm getting two different breeds....that in itself is a problem because I'm not set up for separate areas. Either I will need to get another coop or...have breeding pens / areas set up. Also...if you let them range together....thats a problem too? I would think as long as you didn't hatch out those eggs it would be ok but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that. Thanks for decoding the DQ by the way.

Now we're talkin'. I would like to possibly get SQ [show quality] for the local shows, that also lay well. I will try for the SQ first then try to breed in the laying if need be. This is alot of info. Thanks Wynette. Anything beside no yellow foot bottoms that is a DQ [disqualification]?

Bill, for blacks: More than one-half inch of positive white showing on the surface, or two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white. (also a DQ)

Now, when you show, you can also get a "fault" - this would be a point deduction, but not a complete disqualification. Those are judged by the list I posted.

For example, let's look at the comb standard, which states:

COMB: Single, rather large, straight and upright, having six well defined and evenly serrated points, the blade following the contour of the neck.

Thus, if you have a cockerel or cock with five or seven points, you would not be disqualified but you would get a point deduction. I belive it's 1/2 a point for an excess point in the comb or lack of a point.

This is Jasper. He was one of two roos that survived a possum attack this summer. He was hatched the end of July. Any comments on him? He was hatched from some eggs I had gotten from a lady in Ohio form this forum.

Jen

2757_jasper_01182010.jpg

Wynette, Thanks for the info and keep it coming. I need to get as well informed as I can.
Jennh, He looks good to me in the pic. Sorry to hear about the attack. I had a raccoon problem. Mr. pellet gun took care of 7 raccoons. Lost all but one of my RIR's. The last one I rehomed to the county park.
Sugar sand, I like the markings on that splash. She seems whiter than my splash hen. Yours also has darker markings.
47154_100_1339.jpg

I don't really know Mrs Fluffy. Maybe some of the more experienced breeders here would know what is "proper" color. They all look great most likely but are they SOP? My hen has a crooked comb as you can see. That would be a deduction of point.

Last edited:
Billjr All my splash hens and roosters are dark like that I dont know if its SOP or not They seem to get darker the older they get. In that picture she was around 8-9 months old. I had a hen with a crooked comb but as she got older it straightened out Your pic looks like shes young so it might straighten out as she matures

Back
Top Bottom