Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Wynette That was at the Chattahoochee Valley Poultry show in Newnan Georgia last February she was only a young hen just over a year by a few weeks. Yes she is a Porto bird I only have her lines from 2 years ago. I plan on getting some of her new line this spring when they start laying All my Porto line birds are big some taller than others Do they say just how tall is too tall in the SOP I know there is a weight chart.

That is awesome I just hatched some of Bobbi Porto's Birds, I think out of 6,5 are Roo's. That works though I needed a new Black Roo. I think I am on the right track.

SSF, I don't know that there is a maximum height in the SOP; but the overall look of my splash, to my eye, is not quite as balanced because she's so tall.

If I remember correctly...I read in this thread somewhere that black blue and splash are now recognized bt the APA. Just not white. Unless I'm cornfused. I could be. Another thing, I was just on Bobbi Porto's site www.indigoegg.us. I saw a rooster that had only three points on its comb but won american champion. I guess the bird was otherwise pretty much perfect.

Oh, shoot - that must be right, Bill. I get the standards confused from breed to breed - I constantly refer to them! Don't have them here with me (I'm at work..don't tell my boss I'm on a chicken forum chatting w/likeminded folks!).

The point deductions, as we talked about earlier, are very low for combs that are not perfect. So, that may be the very last criteria chosen for her show birds. Also, if it's the pic I'm thinking of, that was several years ago, too, and she's bred up from there. The combs of my Porto stock are nice - uniform & the proper proportions, but I still do not have one with the correct number. That's not a huge consideration for me, even though I'm known to be a bit of a comb snob! I believe all of the stock I kept from that hatch has 5 points (they are supposed to have 6), but I'm not completely certain there...I have some from two diffrent breeders, so I may be mis-remembering.

Quote:
Wow...that is great!! Let me see how I do with getting a additional coop....we might be able to get (spring thaw time) a 12 X20 foot shed from a friend (cheap) and THAT would give me some options!! I thought you only did eggs but since you would set some eggs for me and I live in the same great state as you- I can always do a road trip!
smile.png

Just gonna show off some photos of my JG pullets. . . They're not top quality, and the cockerel was food, but they're still big and lay pretty eggs.
smile.png

Here's a splash pullet, still growing, in comparison to a Wheaten Ameraucana hen.

5371431152_e7b9091676_z.jpg

And, alone

5370826385_dd78a075a7_z.jpg

The bulkiest of them - A blue pullet walking in front of an Araucana.

5370826637_7ca4e400a3_z.jpg

And, my molting but very light blue pullet in a huddle of Jersey Giants and Araucanas.

5370826971_84ac11e913_z.jpg

I have not weighed anyone yet, but I'm hoping they still have a lot more growth to do. They're not even a year old yet though, so, I'm sure they'll be behemoths in no time.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom