Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have a white Jersey Giant from IDEAL Poultry. Poor guy! He's nothing like Giants should be. I'm not even really sure he IS a guy! His comb and wattles are quite tiny at nearly four months old. He also has GREEN legs instead of the blackish legs required to be a pure Jersey. *Sigh*. Hatcheries!

Not a comb point a side sprig ( I might not be spelling it right)
It is when what looks like a extras point is coming out of the side of the comb away from the points on the top.
No matter how close it is to the "ridge line" of points on the comb.
If comb has a slight Wave , 7 points where the points should be that is still breedable if the bird is to sop on everything else.
The side sprig will be passed on the every chick and just get worst in the line if used. Can be very hard to get breed out if you use one. So it is best to cull them out and not introduce it into your flock.
So check for any points coming from the side of the comb. The splash hen had it at the back of her head and it was right at the base of the point ridge line so when looking it looked like a extra point.
When the judge looked at her he kept going back to the comb and moved the comb over some and said ahhh.
I knew he had found something but he kept checking to be sure.
We he. Did say ahhh I was 100% sure it was bad news for the pullet.
That's when he called me up and showed me at first look it almost fooled him but just did not sit right. That was why he kept looking. Now that I know what it is and what to look for ( that one was not a bad case and could have used if I was a well defined breeder)
I will check everyone and make sure they don't have any. I don't thi k they do or will as they are different blood lines but I will check.
I just wanted to pass this info on since I know there are a few of us new to the breed and want to do right by the Breed.
Hope this helps

Quote:
It IS helpful. Wish you had a picture but I will examine my flock closely to look....it sounds like you have to actually handle it to find if a point or a sprig. Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry you had to get rid of your splash.

My white Jersey Giants are almost 6 weeks old now. Note there are Delawares in with them.

31282_10-4-2011f2snjg004.jpg

31282_10-4-2011f2snjg001.jpg

31282_10-4-2011f2snjg002.jpg

31282_10-4-2011f2snjg003.jpg

Looks like a pullet to me. It looks like the underside of her feet is white.
It could just be the lighting in the picture. Can you take a picture of the bottoms of her feet?
My jg's are 6 months old this month and still have not heard one crow my 4/5 month old wyandotte's and auburn Javas are crowing like crazy. Jg 's take longer to mature. Oh I asked on the feet becuase jg's should have yellow bottoms on their feet not white or any other color.
Nice healthy looking pullet you have there .

Quote:
Mine hasn't crowed yet either! He is younger than yours...I think he is almost 5 months now...would have to check records. I thought maybe the Orpington rooster (older by 3 weeks) intimidated him. I wonder if our girls will be later laying eggs also? I thought I asked Wynette that once and she said not necessarily. (forgetful me)

Back
Top Bottom