Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hey all,
I bought a couple JG pullets almost 2 weeks ago from the Feed store (they had just hatch the day before from Mt Healthy, so they will be 2 weeks on Sunday). Anyway, one of them died and I still have 1 in with my 6 dark Brahma pullets that are a week older and so far it seems to be feathering a lot slower then the DBs did. I was just wonding if JG feather slow or if it might be a rooster. At almost 2 weeks old it just has some short wing feathers and my DBs all had long wing feathers and starting on tail feathers and body feathers at 2 weeks old. when can i be sure if its' a pullet or roo?
I want to move them all out side at the end of next week or the begining of the week after if its warm, but I want her to have enough feathers 1st.

I have two blue JG that I hatched from eggs from a breeder in Fl. They are very different in color. One dark one light.. I was certain the light one was a boy because of the prominent comb and wattles. Here are new pics of them at 9 weeks. The comb/wattles are the only thing that is different however. I don't see any other signs that the light one is a boy. Am I being WAY too optimistic that I would see hackle and saddle feathers by now? I am not a breeder nor do I plan on being one but I just think this darker girl is
droolin.gif
LOVE her dark lacy looking feathers

Top photo of the light blue

I have two blue JG that I hatched from eggs from a breeder in Fl. They are very different in color. One dark one light.. I was certain the light one was a boy because of the prominent comb and wattles. Here are new pics of them at 9 weeks. The comb/wattles are the only thing that is different however. I don't see any other signs that the light one is a boy. Am I being WAY too optimistic that I would see hackle and saddle feathers by now? I am not a breeder nor do I plan on being one but I just think this darker girl is
droolin.gif
LOVE her dark lacy looking feathers
(This a PULLET with dark blue lacing. I love these!)

(this one is a Cockerel normal blue color)
Top photo of the light blue

Very nice JGs you have there. Forgot part the feathers on the back and you should see the saddle feathers starting to come in.

Last edited:
Yep! It comes any hour it pleases, any day, any week. We have only 24 chickens, our dogs don't live in the back, because they'll bark at the people walking by the path.
I love the "Chicken Trees" , so cute. I use the suet in the winter, never thought tho use the holders for other stuff during the year, Great Idea.

Wow the bobcat went after them during the day? sounds like you could use a Livestock guardian dog. The neighbors up the road have given up keeping chickens because of the bobcats and coyotes and hawks in the area. Our dogs are boundary trained and the two males mark the perimeter regularly, so we rarely even see the predators. We lost 2 hens last year, to unknown , but that's pretty good out of 60+/- free ranging chickens

Zootopia: what kind of dogs and how did you "boundary" train them? I'd like to let my chickens free-range so I need a good guard dog (that doesn't eat multiple pounds of dog food a day or chickens). We have lots of predators here, as well as dumped dogs and cats.

Yellow Chicken, check out "Livestock Guardians" at http://www.chickenzoo.com/our-guardians.php ; this is not the first time I have heard of Great Pyrenees dogs for chicken protection. This breed has been suggested to me for a Service Dog but they are "independent" thinkers (vs "partnership" or "pack" thinkers). It's like "well you left it there so go get it". However they are great protectors. Newfoundlands ("Hero" and now "Blessing") are care-givers and will adopt one to care for. The first Newfoundland I heard about was killed while returning a kitten to their own side of the road. But their "protection" mode is very subtle; they just place their huge body between "their" charge, and whatever they perceive to be danger. OFF TOPIC: The first week I had "Hero" there was an episode with a man from the local mental institution. I posted the story at http://tribute.perfectmemorials.com/hero-service-dog .

On the other hand, part of the protection a Pyrenees provides is continual barking during the night; "I am here. I am on guard & don't interfere with my charges. I am here. I am here ..." It can definitely become a neighborhood nuisance. But they notice what is going on with each animal in their charge.
-- "Truthful" and "Blessing" the wheelchair Service Dog

Yellow Chicken, I forgot to mention that both my Newfoundlands ate about 1c/day kibble (supplemented with carrots, cauliflower, brocolli etc). They don't eat much more than a Lab (they are the ancestor to the lab) so I doubt Pyrs do either. It all depends on the amount of activity required in their job.

Thanks TK. Great story you posted. I'm not familiar with the New Foundland. I didn't know they would eat vegetables! It does get pretty hot here also if that would be a factor. I will look into them. I did have a Great Pyr mix that didn't work out - turned on my DW and we had to get rid of him. We need something that won't leave the property to run with other dogs, won't bark all night needlessly and won't attack foals. We've had several dogs but none worked out.

I'm sorry; I meant 1c/kibble morning and night. I think most Newfys would probably NOT meet your needs because they watch well, but GUARDing is usually not their forte. I made reference to the Newfoundland as comparison for probable food intake. Also they don't do well working in heat; they were developed to haul boats or loads of fish in the cold ocean area of Newfoundland, Canada. Sorry your Pyr mix didn't work out.

Maria Hall (Maria's Jersey Giants) at http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/index.html also raises Newfys, so she might be a resource if you still end up interested in the dog breed. She has also owned Blue Heelers, but her website doesn't mention use of any canine Protector for her Jersey Giants.

Zootopia: what kind of dogs and how did you "boundary" train them? I'd like to let my chickens free-range so I need a good guard dog (that doesn't eat multiple pounds of dog food a day or chickens). We have lots of predators here, as well as dumped dogs and cats.

Boundary training starts with with a well trained dog. Obedience is the foundation of everything we teach. Not like "heel" so much as "Come, stay, leave it, " livestock dogs are not pets, they do not live in the house part of the time. Many people want to keep the pup away from the stock because "it's to small to be out there by it's self, it's to cold out, etc" The dog should live in the area with the stock ans you should spend as much time as possible with them while the pup is learning to not chase, chew on, or harass the stock. the pup should be in a secure pen next to the stock when not supervised, until it can be trusted. Most people don't want to spend the time it requires to really teach a livestock dog the right way. Alternatively you can use a shock collar to train the dog. I do use a collar off and on, as the dog grows and is allowed greater freedom. It is important to use a breed that is bred to do the job you are asking it to do. Yes there are people who have bird dogs who do the job, this is not a common thing.
I recommend the use of the PYR (or Marama for smaller properties) in areas where you have lots of very cold or snow. I recommend the Anatolian Shepard or Akbash for milder or hot locals. These dogs are bred to guard livestock. They are usually good with THEIR family and I have not found them to be unnecessarily vocal. They are reserved with strangers and vocal to what they perceive as a threat. They are independent and if THEY think it is necessary to back up the vocals with real physical aggression, they will. For this reason it is important to spend time socializing the dog as well.
I raise and show the Brazilian Mastiff, Fila Brasileiro. I do not recommend them for the job as they are bred to be Guard dogs of their property and anything on the property, some lines will also have herding instinct. They are VERY intolerant of strangers, and require alot of socialization and obedience to be trusted off leash. Example Mine know the mailman, he drives up, gets out and walks to the front door, they walk with him, about 10 feet away. He does not go anywhere but to the front door, he goes back to his car. The fill in is afraid of dogs, because of this he acts "funny" when he gets out of the car, this makes the Fila suspicious and it will "press" him by getting closer and barking or growling causing the fill in to move faster or get excited, Needless to say, our property is posted and you don't get out of the car with out an invitation. (I simply call the dogs to my side and tell them "that's enough" ) control is not about physical, it's about respect "Alpha". The males mark the perimeter and we don't have any problem with coyotes, or bobcats, skunks, etc We lost 2 birds out of about 60+/- last year
I do alot of "Large Protective Breed Rescue", Anatolian are my Favorite. They need a job, they need positive training. The economy has forced the sale off of alot of small stock holders, rescues are available in most areas. Everyone needs at least Some training and supervision to do their job, even a dog.

Thanks TK. Great story you posted. I'm not familiar with the New Foundland. I didn't know they would eat vegetables! It does get pretty hot here also if that would be a factor. I will look into them. I did have a Great Pyr mix that didn't work out - turned on my DW and we had to get rid of him. We need something that won't leave the property to run with other dogs, won't bark all night needlessly and won't attack foals. We've had several dogs but none worked out.

Back
Top Bottom