Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Boundary training starts with with a well trained dog. Obedience is the foundation of everything we teach. Not like "heel" so much as "Come, stay, leave it, " livestock dogs are not pets, they do not live in the house part of the time. Many people want to keep the pup away from the stock because "it's to small to be out there by it's self, it's to cold out, etc" The dog should live in the area with the stock ans you should spend as much time as possible with them while the pup is learning to not chase, chew on, or harass the stock. the pup should be in a secure pen next to the stock when not supervised, until it can be trusted. Most people don't want to spend the time it requires to really teach a livestock dog the right way. Alternatively you can use a shock collar to train the dog. I do use a collar off and on, as the dog grows and is allowed greater freedom. It is important to use a breed that is bred to do the job you are asking it to do. Yes there are people who have bird dogs who do the job, this is not a common thing.
I recommend the use of the PYR (or Marama for smaller properties) in areas where you have lots of very cold or snow. I recommend the Anatolian Shepard or Akbash for milder or hot locals. These dogs are bred to guard livestock. They are usually good with THEIR family and I have not found them to be unnecessarily vocal. They are reserved with strangers and vocal to what they perceive as a threat. They are independent and if THEY think it is necessary to back up the vocals with real physical aggression, they will. For this reason it is important to spend time socializing the dog as well.
I raise and show the Brazilian Mastiff, Fila Brasileiro. I do not recommend them for the job as they are bred to be Guard dogs of their property and anything on the property, some lines will also have herding instinct. They are VERY intolerant of strangers, and require alot of socialization and obedience to be trusted off leash. Example Mine know the mailman, he drives up, gets out and walks to the front door, they walk with him, about 10 feet away. He does not go anywhere but to the front door, he goes back to his car. The fill in is afraid of dogs, because of this he acts "funny" when he gets out of the car, this makes the Fila suspicious and it will "press" him by getting closer and barking or growling causing the fill in to move faster or get excited, Needless to say, our property is posted and you don't get out of the car with out an invitation. (I simply call the dogs to my side and tell them "that's enough" ) control is not about physical, it's about respect "Alpha". The males mark the perimeter and we don't have any problem with coyotes, or bobcats, skunks, etc We lost 2 birds out of about 60+/- last year
I do alot of "Large Protective Breed Rescue", Anatolian are my Favorite. They need a job, they need positive training. The economy has forced the sale off of alot of small stock holders, rescues are available in most areas. Everyone needs at least Some training and supervision to do their job, even a dog.

Thanks for the info. Can the Anatolian be trained to stay on the property? Should they be spayed or neutered? Can an adult be trained or do you recommend a pup?
Thanks again

Thanks for the info. Can the Anatolian be trained to stay on the property? Should they be spayed or neutered? Can an adult be trained or do you recommend a pup?
Thanks again

Yes, they can be trained to stay on a fenced property. The actual Boundary training without a fence is very time intensive and I only have certain dogs I trust. (One I had to put up because he likes women and he would go over to the neighbors at night when she went to work to walk her to her car, she likes him and encouraged it by feeding him treats instead of sending him home.) I recommend any working dog be spayed or neutered, it keeps their mind on the job. Intact females are magnets and intact males wander. Adults can be trained and are often easier since you don't have to deal with puppy silliness, chewing, chasing etc. It's all about paying attention and reading the dog, take them out on leash as you do chores, let them see what is normal, chickens running around squawking, etc. watch the dogs reaction to them running and making noise. redirect him if he seems to interested when they get to fussing amongst themselves. As he gets used to being around them and your routine, drop the leash and let him wander as you do chores. It is a process, the time line depends as much on the dog as you and your setup.
AND the whole family should be involved as much as possible so the dog knows who belongs. Family members hold the leash, pet the dog and feed the dog. Friends are introduced to the dog, can pet the dog IF the dog approaches them in a calm manner and after he has had time to smell them. Strangers come, leash the dog allow him to sniff if he is polite, do not encourage them to pet the dog. We do encourage them to bark to announce arrival but then they need to be quiet. the leash helps this. The dog should not bark at some one unless they are acting stupid once you have come out to greet them. That's the basics
They should be allowed to smell the chickens, and any other stock on the place, they should be around them supervised. have then lay down in the run while you are cleaning. Watch to see if the relax and basically ignore the chickens, ducks, etc.(yes, they will eat poop sometimes, no big deal)

Well today is lock down day on my sq jg eggs!
21 into lock down! I already see some eggs rocking.
Had a call duck hatch and some out of all the eggs I l/d started rocking to the ducks calling.
I am glad and at same time wish the front of the hatcher was not all glass!
I keep checking about every hour just to look!
Now is that sd or what!
:lol:

pop.gif
never a dull minute when hatching......Wish you luck on a great hatch all 21!!!! need photos
jumpy.gif

Are these all Black or do you have some Blue? I'm SO jealous 21 on lock down....that would be so
thumbsup.gif
. I only have 2 on lock down for a Wed hatch.
Anyone hatching has it bad.....can you past the bator with out looking when eggs are on lock down.......NOT!!!!!!
Well today is lock down day on my sq jg eggs!
21 into lock down! I already see some eggs rocking.
Had a call duck hatch and some out of all the eggs I l/d started rocking to the ducks calling.
I am glad and at same time wish the front of the hatcher was not all glass!
I keep checking about every hour just to look!
Now is that sd or what!
lol.png

pop.gif
never a dull minute when hatching......Wish you luck on a great hatch all 21!!!! need photos
jumpy.gif

Are these all Black or do you have some Blue? I'm SO jealous 21 on lock down....that would be so
thumbsup.gif
Anyone hatching has it bad.....can you past the bator with out looking when eggs are on lock down.......NOT!!!!!!

These should mostly black, with a few blue and a few splash.
pop.gif

pop.gif
jumpy.gif

thumbsup.gif

My Bator is at the other end of the house, my son's old room,. I get lots of exercise when I have eggs in lockdown.
celebrate.gif

Thanks Wynette!
I have two dicky 3 tray bators and a 6 tray hatcher.
They are in my bedroom on my side so every time I go in and out I look in them.
I have this hatch coming up and a show may 5 th.

Thankfully to much to let nerves get to me.

I got this in an email, thought it was funny.

Old Butch

John was in the fertilized egg business. He had several hundred young layers (hens), called 'pullets,' and ten roosters to fertilize the eggs.

He kept records, and any rooster not performing went into the soup pot and was replaced.

This took a lot of time, so he bought some tiny bells and attached them to his roosters.

Each bell had a different tone, so he could tell from a distance, which rooster was performing.

Now, he could sit on the porch and fill out an efficiency report by just listening to the bells.

John's favorite rooster, old Butch, was a very fine specimen, but this morning he noticed old Butch's bell hadn't rung at all!

When he went to investigate, he saw the other roosters were busy chasing pullets, bells-a-ringing, but the pullets, hearing the roosters coming, would run for cover.

To John's amazement, old Butch had his bell in his beak, so it couldn't ring.

He'd sneak up on a pullet, do his job and walk on to the next one.

John was so proud of old Butch, he entered him in the Saint Lawrence County Fair and he became an overnight sensation among the judges.

The result was the judges not only awarded old Butch the "No Bell Piece Prize," but they also awarded him the "Pulletsurprise" as well.

Back
Top Bottom