Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote: Our property is fenced with 4-strand cattle type fence. How are they trained to do this? All the dogs we've had would leave the property at times.
Thanks

Our property is fenced with 4-strand cattle type fence. How are they trained to do this? All the dogs we've had would leave the property at times.
Thanks

My chickens come when I call, because they think I have food, so I try to have a little something most of the time. The dog is really not that different, a treat, a pat on the head or a belly rub, they're all the same to the dog. Always be positive when you call the dog and when he comes to you. walk along close to the fence with the dog (you don't have to walk the whole fence) if he sticks his head thru or gets to close to an open gate, make what ever sound you use for displeasure, keep walking, when you see him respond to the sound say "come" (don't use the dogs name with commands, he knows who you are talking to) pet him as he come back to you and continue your walk. Teaching a recall is the single most important any dog owner can do.
Using a dog bred for the purpose makes a huge difference, you don't have to deal with prey drive, and spay/neuter means the dogs mind is on his job.
The dog bonding to his "charges" helps alot, if you have a roo running loose that is going to be aggressive to the dog put him up until the dog is comfortable, and at first you will put the dog up when not supervised so put them next to each other to get acquainted. Most roos get to understand that the dog is on his side, ours lay under the trees in the shade together.

Thanks much. Have you found it makes a difference whether the dog is male or female if they are spayed/neutered? Which dog breed would you pick for a fairly hot climate (Northeast central Texas/OK area) and lowest food cost?

Good luck on the hatch! My JG roo didn't hatch till day 26, and the good thing is, I was hoping for a roo.
lol.png

Yep, talking to you
wink.png
I personally think JG roosters are nicer than hens, my JG hen attacks my BO.. and my other one is the queen of her coop, and eats first. While the roo, just eats anything that's food.
lol.png

Thanks if your talking to me. I keep checking but all I see are rocking eggs.
they are not due till the 26th. I'm hoping for both sexes!
fl.gif

Thanks much. Have you found it makes a difference whether the dog is male or female if they are spayed/neutered? Which dog breed would you pick for a fairly hot climate (Northeast central Texas/OK area) and lowest food cost?
All dogs are individuals, what you want more than anything is a dog who is confident. Very large males tend to be lower key, I feel they are better suited to smaller areas. You have a larger place and a slightly more alert dog will better suit, so I'd recommend you select for that. I live in a very hot (Supposed to be 100+ tommrow) area as well, I'd recommend an Anatolian, the shorter coat and lighter weight, compared to a Pyr or Marama make them better suited to your place. You can PM me if you like I can check rescue to see if there are any available that might suit you, or I can recommend a couple of good breeders.

pop.gif

Thanks if your talking to me. I keep checking but all I see are rocking eggs.
they are not due till the 26th. I'm hoping for both sexes!
fl.gif

pop.gif
Do you have the camera ready?
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom