Just curious who else is living super frugal

not sure if this is frugal or not, (the deal was good and i think i saved money)

wanted to get into big game hunting for the meat, as a meat hunter pretty much means i can get a black bear and white tail tag every year. so i wanted a gun that could take (mainly white tail) at 100 yards or less (not a long shot person here). i really wanted a 45-70 but ammo is like $5 a bullet here in Canada. (for the good hunting ones) and the guns are $800 plus at minimum. so that was out of the picture (plus the recoil)

so i went to a gun store and decided on an sks there like $250 here, looked at one and they took it apart to see the shape its in and the thing was never shot before its a brand new gun (covered in cosmoline and like 60 years old lol) i think that is a good deal, hope to put some meat in the freezer with it. :)

now a entry level hunting rig here is like 500 or more, i got mine for like 300 in end (with some ammo)

Planting garlic cloves!!! 6 weeks before the ground freezes is the best time. More rains coming in with the next hurricane. Been very rainy.

Picked up a couple flower pots and matching can of spray paint for the baskets to pull everything together-- a little aqua to pick up the spirits as the sunny days are getting shorter and fewer. Mostly from the thrift store.

not sure if this is frugal or not, (the deal was good and i think i saved money)

wanted to get into big game hunting for the meat, as a meat hunter pretty much means i can get a black bear and white tail tag every year. so i wanted a gun that could take (mainly white tail) at 100 yards or less (not a long shot person here). i really wanted a 45-70 but ammo is like $5 a bullet here in Canada. (for the good hunting ones) and the guns are $800 plus at minimum. so that was out of the picture (plus the recoil)

so i went to a gun store and decided on an sks there like $250 here, looked at one and they took it apart to see the shape its in and the thing was never shot before its a brand new gun (covered in cosmoline and like 60 years old lol) i think that is a good deal, hope to put some meat in the freezer with it. :)

now a entry level hunting rig here is like 500 or more, i got mine for like 300 in end (with some ammo)

IMO when you can set yourself up to be independent, and put so much meat on the table, that is frugal.

I let my garlic (hardneck) blossoms ripen this year. each flower yeilds a LOT of tiny bulbs. I planted them in a planter this fall. We'll see how they grow next year. They did sprout up nicely for me.

loopeend- start simple and allow a couple years to accomplish this. I loo at the ingredients on the mix, and use the same items from my supply. Start with your favorites, or those used often. I like making my own as it eliminates any sugar, and the anti caking agents, etc.

I buy my most commonly used spices in bulk.

Be patient. And I keep herbs bought fresh in the freezer. Also ginger. ANd chives. I use chives and scallions interchangeably, as I grow chives, and sometimes scallions.

The freezer :O
I never thought about putting the herbs in my yard in the freezer. Don't you have to blanché (Don't know the English term, shortly put in cooking water) first?
You, sir/madam, are not making it easier :p I was busy to find a way to cheaply and healthy make a rack of dried herbs.. now I have to think about freezing them too :O :p which I want because it is fresher then their dried versions. Thanks for the extra work reseraching this! But secretly the good tip ;') <3

The freezer :O
I never thought about putting the herbs in my yard in the freezer. Don't you have to blanché (Don't know the English term, shortly put in cooking water) first?
You, sir/madam, are not making it easier :p I was busy to find a way to cheaply and healthy make a rack of dried herbs.. now I have to think about freezing them too :O :p which I want because it is fresher then their dried versions. Thanks for the extra work reseraching this! But secretly the good tip ;') <3

Im lazy and toss into freezer. Im sure blanching ( blanche) maybe better for some of them. Use from freezer quickly. Dried can last much longer.

Looking at CUmmins fruit trees as they have very good prices and good root stocks: every rootstock is listed. No guessing. Priced by diameter.
Dr cummins started the website many years ago. He is a researcher at Cornell, retired now. Looks like the sons have taken over the business end. Lots of trees for making hard or sweet cider and perry pears. ANd fresh eating/ cooking fruit trees.
Lots of fruit details, the good and the bad. Not just a sales pitch.

We have a large family, and everyone is always telling us, "oh these days you need two incomes to survive". No we don't. We probably would if we wanted more stuff. We don't have cable or internet. We buy vehicles outright. I don't buy anything that's not on sale. Sometimes it can be stressful, but we are happy.

In my young adult years I went grocery shopping once a month, because that's when I could get a ride. It probably would have worked a lot better if I had done meal planning though. But I wasn't into self sustainability back then. Living frugally has been a fun learning experience, I'm just hoping I can get food to grow.

I let my garlic (hardneck) blossoms ripen this year. each flower yeilds a LOT of tiny bulbs. I planted them in a planter this fall. We'll see how they grow next year. They did sprout up nicely for me.
some bulbetts take 3 years and some 5 years, before they are nice size.. The first year they will most likely be a single round clove. You can leave the first years in for next year, if they are not too close together. The next year you can seperate the tiny cloves and plant or wait another year.
They make great green garlic if you don't want to wait for what seems like forever LOL

Back
Top Bottom