Kate's Sassy Seramas

Pics
Check this out... Totally detached air cell, and even had little bubbles around the air cell, like part of it had separated. But its developing.
fl.gif

Hi, I have a serama question. I have 9 chicks and chose the breed because of how friendly they were said to be, but my chicks, ~ 6 weeks old, are very stand-offish, and some even act terrified. I have 4 silkie chicks in with them and the silkies are curious and come right up to me and let me hold them, while the Seramas chicks cower in the back ground. Is it best to handle them as chicks or should I leave them alone? Will their sweet temperaments emerge or do they need to be cultivated? I don't want to traumatized them and chase them down unless it will teach them to eventually trust me to handle them. Oh, forgot to mention that the goal is to have chickens that are friendly and like to be held.

They are very cute, I ended up with two frizzled, one of whom is definitely a roo and is the friendliest. The other frizzle is a hen and is the most fearful. I also have one with silkied feathers which is pretty cool.

It seems like the larger they are the less afraid they are.

Hi, I have a serama question. I have 9 chicks and chose the breed because of how friendly they were said to be, but my chicks, ~ 6 weeks old, are very stand-offish, and some even act terrified. I have 4 silkie chicks in with them and the silkies are curious and come right up to me and let me hold them, while the Seramas chicks cower in the back ground. Is it best to handle them as chicks or should I leave them alone? Will their sweet temperaments emerge or do they need to be cultivated? I don't want to traumatized them and chase them down unless it will teach them to eventually trust me to handle them. Oh, forgot to mention that the goal is to have chickens that are friendly and like to be held.

They are very cute, I ended up with two frizzled, one of whom is definitely a roo and is the friendliest. The other frizzle is a hen and is the most fearful. I also have one with silkied feathers which is pretty cool.

I'm not much help, as I have found pretty much the same thing with mine.
hmm.png

However, I have found if I sit on the floor with my current chicks, they climb all over me, even though they run from my hand. So these have gotten more used to me, and I think will only get better. In my "adult" set, they have gotten used to me, but still don't like being handled. They will eat from my hand, etc. My hen that went broody would never let me touch her before, but she does now, and also lets me handle her chicks. Which seems totally odd, but that's my experience, for what its worth. lol

More insight from seasoned serama owners would be great!

Sometimes this happens with serama chicks, I would handle them more and let them get used to you. Spend lots of times with them and carry them around or hold them while you watch tv. They will come around and I hope that you will love seramas once they come out of their shell. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

[COLOR=FF0000]With all my unusual feathered birds it's this smooth feathered I find the most endearing. A perfect pet; what my breeding program is all about-small, sweet tempered, trusting, affectionate, and very "serama".[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Someone in the past told me the mother looked part EE/Americana.  She'll make a good foster mother. Kimmi will use the eggs in her kitchen.[/COLOR]

Yes I always breed for temperament. This is what I breed for in order 1) temperament- I have had mean seramas and they are no fun, they can also be dangerous. But I have found that when the males start maturing they get full of themselves, that is where I teach them that this isn't ok and most of the time they grow up to be nice and sweet birds. 2) type- I want to make sure that i have birds that look similar to the standard of perfection and/or people can recognize as a serama. 3) size 4) color/feathering type

I'm sure she will be a good foster mom!

Hi, I have a serama question. I have 9 chicks and chose the breed because of how friendly they were said to be Not all by any means., but my chicks, ~ 6 weeks old, are very stand-offish, and some even act terrified. I have 4 silkie chicks in with them and the silkies are curious and come right up to me and let me hold them, while the Seramas chicks cower in the back ground. Is it best to handle them as chicks or should I leave them alone? Will their sweet temperaments emerge or do they need to be cultivated? I don't want to traumatized them and chase them down unless it will teach them to eventually trust me to handle them. Oh, forgot to mention that the goal is to have chickens that are friendly and like to be held.
The pictures below show serama being held for the first time.

It seems like the larger they are the less afraid they are. Very true-as they age they do become more trusting.-, but tame, friendly chicks make for great pets when they get older.
This is my frazzle pullet who is extremely trusting and tame-blind in one eye. Holding her when first handling another to be tamed is a calming factor that quickens the pace of taming.

Normally I do not cross chicken breeds, but when my wife's cross breed pet hen of eight years was killed I took the old hen's last eggs and gave them to a Japanese bantam to brood. The hen brooded her eggs all the way from WI to our new home in TN. The four eggs that made the trip hatched a few days after we reached TN. Now four months old I am surprised at how attractive they are. The father was a serama!!! Freckles-serama X ?????????????????????????????????
I'm about 100% positive that is Serama x Mille Fleur D'uccle. I have one growing out now at about 11 weeks old. I have now decided I will breed him to one of my Serama pullets to get some of my own. Omg! <3

Back
Top Bottom