I live in a small town on a small corner lot. Sad to say I'm not friendly with either of my neighbors (On one side is a bigot, on the other is a person who stole from me).

The most important thing is to follow the laws where you are. I am allowed to have up to 10 hens, no roosters. I have 5 pullets. There is no set back required for me but I did not build my coop up to the property line even though that would have been legal and gave it an 8ft set back anyway which lets me see what's going on from inside my house.

I had to fence my property to keep the neighbors' wandering dogs from coming over.

I think the other part of the equation is deep litter. I use it in both the run and coop for many reasons: enjoyment for the girls, compost for the garden and it really does keep the smell away and cuts down on flies. I'd say I have the same amount of flies visit with chickens as I did before I got them. It's kind of amazing.

For any flies that do show up, I use a wood and window screen reusable fly trap next to the coop.

If for some reason a town inspector showed up, he or she would find a tidy garden and coop with well cared for chickens and no violations.

I live in a small, unincorporated town of approximately 150 people. We have a large shed in the back yard that serves as a hen house and duck coop. The main issues we have had have been a couple noise issues when we first brought home our rooster, and the neighbor's dogs. Our neighbor across the field has three dogs that run around the town, terrorizing and attacking people and other dogs. Our own dog has to be taken out on a leash to protect him. Previously, our chickens were kept in a small dog pen near the house, but our neighbor's dogs would come onto our property, chase them out of the pen (it was uncovered and my hens would fly when scared) and kill my chickens in my yard. It was partially our fault for having the chickens uncovered, so we put them in with the ducks in a covered run. After this, I was watering the ducks and chickens and had the gate unlocked with the hose running in, leaving a small gap. The neighbor's dog ran in and grabbed a rooster and began shaking him and ripping out his feathers. Another neighbor called the Sheriff and filed a report on our behalf, as she enjoyed visiting our chickens and had made friends with several that were killed by the dogs. As of now, the neighbor with the dog's house burned down and the dogs have moved. Our birds are happy and are living in a new, sturdy 16x8x8 covered run. The rest of the town has been enjoying some peace and quiet without the lady and her dogs causing issues. Our city ordinance allows for all fowl, and one hoofed animal per acre. Smell is not an issue as it is very dry during the summer and during the wet times, we add wood pellets to help with mud.

I use a Nite Guard to keep nighttime predators away. If you’re allowed to have hens in your town then you have nothing to worry about. You’re not doing anything illegal. I’m not allowed to have cockerels/roosters in my town but I can have as many hens as I want.

I have a couple Nite guards on my coop too! I also let my dog pee around the coop to deter cats :)

I live in a small, unincorporated town of approximately 150 people. We have a large shed in the back yard that serves as a hen house and duck coop. The main issues we have had have been a couple noise issues when we first brought home our rooster, and the neighbor's dogs. Our neighbor across the field has three dogs that run around the town, terrorizing and attacking people and other dogs. Our own dog has to be taken out on a leash to protect him. Previously, our chickens were kept in a small dog pen near the house, but our neighbor's dogs would come onto our property, chase them out of the pen (it was uncovered and my hens would fly when scared) and kill my chickens in my yard. It was partially our fault for having the chickens uncovered, so we put them in with the ducks in a covered run. After this, I was watering the ducks and chickens and had the gate unlocked with the hose running in, leaving a small gap. The neighbor's dog ran in and grabbed a rooster and began shaking him and ripping out his feathers. Another neighbor called the Sheriff and filed a report on our behalf, as she enjoyed visiting our chickens and had made friends with several that were killed by the dogs. As of now, the neighbor with the dog's house burned down and the dogs have moved. Our birds are happy and are living in a new, sturdy 16x8x8 covered run. The rest of the town has been enjoying some peace and quiet without the lady and her dogs causing issues. Our city ordinance allows for all fowl, and one hoofed animal per acre. Smell is not an issue as it is very dry during the summer and during the wet times, we add wood pellets to help with mud.
Im glad the dogs moved away and your birds are happy now:)

Im wondering if its silly for me to be worried my girls wont lay eggs because maybe they are stressed by the noise of our small town life (population mby 400?)...train very close, cars, trucks, dogs in the distance, etc??? They act more jumpy than my hens did that I had when we lived out in the country...
My B.O. girls are 20 weeks old now and still not and egg...

Last edited:
Hello fellow small town chicken lovers! :)
I'm curious if there are any new people here who live in a town or village or city and keep a small flock of chickens? I love to hear about the unique challenges and ways to address the issues we chicken owners who don't live out in the country face.
Any new small town city chicken stories?

Back
Top Bottom