Sponsored Post Keeping Dogs and Chickens - Tips for a Harmonious Introduction.

Neat thread!

My dogs are bird hunting dogs. The older one is a college grad even, she went to a fancy Ivy league boarding school for hunters. They are by far the best hunters I have ever had. Now they are a different kind of bird dog. They get along well.

I have no worries with my dogs at all. I have chicks in the house that sleep in a cage next to the dogs beds, they ignore the chicks. The dogs lay amongst the birds outside and ignore them. I did introduce them slowly to the birds when I got them and I did install the electronic brains on the dogs keeping them separate with a "electronic fence at first and warning beeps if they got too excited about them.

Now I try to make the dogs spend as much time with the chickens as they can to ward off other predators. I trust them completely. I leave them outside for hours at a time to protect the birds. They only way they can really be much protection is if the chickens stay on the deck. Lucky for me they do. I will have 20 chickens and 2 dogs on the deck, with turkeys on the rails. The only one really bothered by the birds on the deck is my wife...

BC It is getting pretty bad when I recognized Roger and your dog, before I saw who the post was from. I came to this post of the home page and did not even check the date on the original post. When I saw your old dog, I scrolled back to your name to see when you posted this thinking your post was a couple years old..

My dog and bird pictures...

My problem is that my dog is smaller than my chickens so the rooster chases him any chance he gets.
D.gif

Neat thread!

My dogs are bird hunting dogs. The older one is a college grad even, she went to a fancy Ivy league boarding school for hunters. They are by far the best hunters I have ever had. Now they are a different kind of bird dog. They get along well.

I have no worries with my dogs at all. I have chicks in the house that sleep in a cage next to the dogs beds, they ignore the chicks. The dogs lay amongst the birds outside and ignore them. I did introduce them slowly to the birds when I got them and I did install the electronic brains on the dogs keeping them separate with a "electronic fence at first and warning beeps if they got too excited about them.

Now I try to make the dogs spend as much time with the chickens as they can to ward off other predators. I trust them completely. I leave them outside for hours at a time to protect the birds. They only way they can really be much protection is if the chickens stay on the deck. Lucky for me they do. I will have 20 chickens and 2 dogs on the deck, with turkeys on the rails. The only one really bothered by the birds on the deck is my wife...

BC It is getting pretty bad when I recognized Roger and your dog, before I saw who the post was from. I came to this post of the home page and did not even check the date on the original post. When I saw your old dog, I scrolled back to your name to see when you posted this thinking your post was a couple years old..

My dog and bird pictures...

Nice looking lab!

Thank you for your well thought informative article. Our chicks come tomorrow or Wednesday and we will have a "great" time introducing them to our dog

good piece indeed.

my granny controls over 50 birds, she has been breeding birds, according to her since the 1950's.

she has 2 dogs ( 1 (named Bones) over 3 yrs and another (Nywagi) just over 7 months), 3yr old Bones patrols her yard 24 hrs as a freeman and 7mths old Nywagi still negotiating his release from chains.

according to her, Bones arrived as a puppy and was in chains until she saw baby chicks climbin on his back and on top of the dog house, she set him loose one day under supervision and Bones carried on sniffin for kitchen scraps n bones n never troubled her flock, according to her that how Bones got his independence.

she says Nywagi arrived over a month ago and has since been kept in chains due to his continuous barkin and starin at de flock, she says Nywagi patrols night shifts only n in de morning he's bound in chains.

according to her "until Nywagi shows a different behavior he shall never see his day time freedom.

Is it possible he's also barking because his friend is free and he isn't and he wants to be free??? Or is it specifically directed at the flock? Hope he can gain his freedom soon!

Is it possible he's also barking because his friend is free and he isn't and he wants to be free??? Or is it specifically directed at the flock? Hope he can gain his freedom soon!
Im wondering the same. One of my dogs barked while tied up (during the training) and the other just lay down and went to sleep. I realised that the one barking just hated being tied up and wanted the blueberries I was feeding the chooks. It wasnt because she wanted to attack. So thats why if she did something 'naughty' around the chooks, I used tieing up as a punichment. But then released her as soon as possible as a reward. It worked wonders! And after 2 weeks of training the dogs to be around the chooks they are all best friends now and I dont have to tie the dogs up anymore. I also hope he gains freedom soon too....

Im wondering the same.  One of my dogs barked while tied up (during the training) and the other just lay down and went to sleep.  I realised that the one barking just hated being tied up and wanted the blueberries I was feeding the chooks.  It wasnt because she wanted to attack.  So thats why if she did something 'naughty' around the chooks, I used tieing up as a punichment.  But then released her as soon as possible as a reward.  It worked wonders!  And after 2 weeks of training the dogs to be around the chooks they are all best friends now and I dont have to tie the dogs up anymore. I also hope he gains freedom soon too....

Yeah, my dog hates when he can't reach us or if he's inside and we're not. He gets so upset. I bet that is what is going on. That is awesome your dogs were bale to be trained :) I hope he gets his freedom soon too but it sounds to me like they are just keeping him tied up and just expecting him to automatically know how to behave (i got that from when one day chicks were on the other dog and they let him loose) rather than actively working with him to help him behave and in that case he may never get free :(

Back
Top Bottom