Keeping mixed breeds?

Geele

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
Ireland
Hi all,
I am new to keeping chickens. I had one 6 week old chicken who is a cross breed of some sort. he/she was on its own as it was the only one to hatch. I managed to track down 6 week old light Sussex pullets after about a month of trying to find him/her company.

Do people keep mixed breeds together?
The breeder i got them off kept Sussex and orpingtons but he kept them apart.. but i assume because he wanted pure breeds.

do many backyard keepers keep a few breeds together if not breeding?
they seem ok together.

My flock is composed of both pure-breeds and mixed breeds, all kept together. I love the variety of colors, sizes, feathers, and personalities. It helps you tell them all apart, it gives you a cool mix of egg colors, and when they breed together you get new colors and shapes. My cross-breed chickens are good layers, hardy, and well adapted to this climate. They also produce good meat and tend to be pretty friendly.
Keeping them together is fine, as long as you don't plan on selling any babies you may have as pure-bred.

Best of luck to you!

Here are some pictures of my flock

Here are some of my chickens with the barn cats

Here are my silkies

Here are the new chicks I just got from McMurray

Brilliant. your flock looks great,. I must say i prefer my mixed breed more. the light Sussex are nice but Ive a soft spot for my mixed one. I must upload some pics of my Sussex.

here is my favourite.

I can't recall how many breeds I had when this photo was taken, let alone how many mixed breed birds--it was a lot!

Pretty much all breeds or mixes do well together. The most common problems are with silkies, Polish, Sultans---ornamental breeds like that, especially those with large crests. They can't see well, and other birds think they look different. But your laying breeds do just fine, just be sure everyone has lots of space.

edited--I do have breeding pens for keeping specific birds to hatch eggs, but once breeding is done they're often tossed back in the main flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom