Killing Horses for Humans to Eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting me know that this is now legal again....
The auction barns will be filling up with unwanted horses that cant be given away.
Mustangs, as far as I know, must still be with certified ownership, to go a killer buyer -
they cannot be sold for the meat industry until you have kept them for 1 year and obtained ownership from the BLM.

The horse meat industry provides for Europe, Middle East, Japan, mostly foreign countries.

Quote:
From my experience, I can confirm that.

I'm with the P.eople E.atting T.asty A.nimals group. You might be surprised (or not) of how many people put their trapped varmints on the table.

Quote:
This has always been a problem with old and unwanted horses some thought the problem would go away if they outlawed the slaughter plants but all it did was make the problem worse so now they have brought it back to being legal but who will try to open a plant ? when they do the "horse people" will be all over them

I dont think the "horse people" would be all over them but the P people and the "unmentionable" folks have alot to do with it. I agree with Magicsaddlebred, we are the ones that created the problem however we did have alternatives by sending them to slaughter to make into pet food or people food if the animal was fattened up for that purpose or a merciful way that the breeder/owner could do for the horse. If I was a horse, regardless of my owner's wishes, if I can feed your family or feed your animals, then I would rather go that route of being butchered. If I am not to be used, as a beloved pet and a friend to you, you do not wish to eat me, putting me to sleep is the way to go. Make it quick and merciful for the human brain to understand.

Look at mustangs, if we have so many of them, they would end up dying and the predators would have a field day. Not everyone can adopt a horse, not everyone can afford a horse, and not everyone have the facilities for a horse nor the care, devotion and vet bills when the ecomonic standpoint is down.

Quote:
From my experience, I can confirm that.

I'm with the P.eople E.atting T.asty A.nimals group. You might be surprised (or not) of how many people put their trapped varmints on the table.

That includes road kills of any sort that happens to cross the road! including turtles!

Quote:
Cattle farms can only go so far but what do we do with overpopulation of horses? Cattle is not a problem with overpopulation, either they can sell them or butcher them without batting an eye.

Quote:
Totally agree with this. While I may not like the idea of using "pet" animals for food, until people are responsible and stop breeding unwanted animals, being used for food is preferable to being abused and left to starve.

I also stand by the bill. Equine abuse and neglect has increased by 60% since the ban was put in place in 2007 due to owner being unable to care for their horses, but unable to get rid of them either.

I will be watching this issue with great interest. It will be interesting to see if we start seeing horse meat sold in supermarkets. And whether any specific breeds will begin to be considered "meat" horses.

I myself wouldn't mind trying a horse steak. I don't see it as being any different than eating beef. Hey, cows are cute too.

I think most of you understand the gist of the issue & I agree that US regulated slaughter is best for the overpopulation & economic issues we are facing today. I also agree that it is a mindset that causes us to cringe over this issue. Since the ban the issue has been magnified in that it affected several industries from feed to tack to fencing sales not to mention the value of horses plummented. In my rural area you cannot give horses away. We took in 3 starved & I mean starved horses... we still have them 3 years later. I have seen the bodies of many more that were left simply to starve in poor drought ridden pastures.
I have no issue with anyone eating whatever animal they choose. I only have a problem if the animal is not raised in a natural way & killed quickly & mercifully. I abhor factory farming.... and although we have "pets" in our livestock, I am much more comfortable eating my own grass raised animals that have been tended to & cared for & given a merciful end. A natural life cycle where they are fed a natural diet, cared for in sickness & tame enough to be calm when facing the end. Granted some are never ate! I really think it is more about the HOW slaughter occurs than which animal should or shouldn't be slaughtered for consumption. At least in the US it is more regulated than elsewhere & with animal groups watching - it will remain as good as can be expected for such an act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom