Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Thanks for the info Rich, question, are your BBred chicks as dark as some of mine? As I mentioned, one is dark, I thought he was a black chick when I first saw him he is so dark, he is mainly seen from his back in the photo though. By the wing feathers, he is turning the same color as they all are, but was just curious. The most of the chicks are a darker coloration than I am familiar with in most BBred chicks.

God bless,
Daniel.

My bbred chicks were about the same, maybe lighter. The darker one may be an outlier, it will be interesting to see if when the baby feathers start coming through if the color approaches the other chicks more.

I checked out the three cockerels and one rooster I still have this morning and they all have some red down the sides of the legs.

Those last pictures of the silver hens look just like mine. Of the three I still have from this year one has nice red earlobes, and the other two have some white. We'll see if I can get some pics of my birds this weekend.

Rich

Rich, thanks for the information. Would love to see some of your birds. Mcrooke, nice looking little birds. Your BBred looks a lot like the majority of my fowl. So far, the two silvers you displayed look like pullets.

Pullets will have colored breasts be they light tan/salmon, grayish feathers overall with a silver hackle/black striping. Cockerels should mature out darker, black breast (though some may have white spotting), black tail/thighs, silvery hackle/back/saddle (though hackle may have some black striping). Generally the same with the BBred fowl as well, they will just be red in place of silver, last I got a good look I believe a saw a couple that already displayed the male BBred pattern coming in on their backs.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Normally pictures are not easy to get due to them being in the brooder, but today I learned: They can fly now! I usually leave the door open on the brooder as I go fill the feeder or water given that it doesn't take much time. Today as I went to get feed, on my way back to the brooder I here a chick chirping loudly as if it were looking for either its mother or the rest of the flock and figured "one must have discovered how to fly out". I finally make it back to the barn where the brooder is, and sure enough, there the little chick is just standing on the ground looking at me until I walked closer causing it to run behind the brooder.

While I had it out though, figured I'd snap a few photos.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Normally pictures are not easy to get due to them being in the brooder, but today I learned: They can fly now! I usually leave the door open on the brooder as I go fill the feeder or water given that it doesn't take much time. Today as I went to get feed, on my way back to the brooder I here a chick chirping loudly as if it were looking for either its mother or the rest of the flock and figured "one must have discovered how to fly out". I finally make it back to the barn where the brooder is, and sure enough, there the little chick is just standing on the ground looking at me until I walked closer causing it to run behind the brooder.

While I had it out though, figured I'd snap a few photos.

God bless,
Daniel.
Nice to see some updated photos of your Koppes! It's always fun to watch them begin to fly out of the brooder--though it can get a little messy. With my last batch of chicks, I had them in a cardboard brooder in my room for a time, and one day I came into my room after finishing an online class and one of the chicks was walking on my carpet
tongue.png
I knew then that it was time to move them...

Am I right that the Koppe in these two pics is a male?

God bless,
~Gresh~

Nice to see some updated photos of your Koppes! It's always fun to watch them begin to fly out of the brooder--though it can get a little messy. With my last batch of chicks, I had them in a cardboard brooder in my room for a time, and one day I came into my room after finishing an online class and one of the chicks was walking on my carpet
tongue.png
I knew then that it was time to move them...

Am I right that the Koppe in these two pics is a male?

God bless,
~Gresh~

Gresh, I am not entirely sure. I truthfully am leaning more towards this little chick being a pullet but too early for me to tell 100%. Throughout its body it has brown feathers coming in like its wings, usually indicating pullet. She/he is very tall and upright, the only reason it doesn't display that in the second picture is because she/he began to move as I took the photo.

Still, it is one of the smaller chicks. I have one I am sure 100% is going to be a cockerel, he is feathering out differently. As I explained earlier to Mcrooke, cockerels should feather out with a darker coloration. The particular chick I am talking about is larger than this one, his breast is black but I noticed he had orange tipping on some (not uncommon in BBred fowl, it is a negative trait but it can happen, maybe he'll lose it). He also, as well as a couple others, has a more developed comb. The chick in the pictures comb is still flat, the ones I am leaning toward being male have a small bump rising in place of the Walnut comb.

God bless,
Daniel.

PS. And yeah, it is getting about time to move them. There is still room in the brooder, but need to make room for the Geese/Ducks due to be here soon. Just gotta get a pen situated, the chick pen I normally use is currently taken by a Arkansas Traveler hen and her chicks she hatched a few days ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom