Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
A few junk shots of a Malay X Kraienköppe. Not sure why they came out so grainy- guess the cell cam may have had some dirt or something on the lens I was unaware of.

Not a bad little bird though for a f1 cross. He's almost 8 months old and a little shy of 5lbs right now (as are all of his brothers so far.) Still growing in all of his feathers, can't wait to see him at a year old.

Last edited:
I got these twentse chicks yesterday. But they have white legs! I dont know much about the breed. Are they worth growing out?

I got these twentse chicks yesterday. But they have white legs! I dont know much about the breed. Are they worth growing out?

I'd grow them out; sometimes birds will hatch yellow legged- change white, then back yellow. Others I've seen do the opposite, hatch white then turn yellow and stay that way.

It's not a big concern until they've reached maturity, if they're white legged at maturity, except for hens which are laying, I'd cull 'em or at least not breed them if you want to improve the breed anyway.
smile.png

I got them as a bargain anyway so I will grow them out and see what I get. They are the oh little project. Unfortunately we have lost 2 since sunday. They were too young to be at a sale tbh so cant expect too much but they seemed so active and healthy. They also seem quite vunerable to chill they get cold easily will they tolerate winter outside? It gets as cold as -5 celcius in uk. Glad to hear their legs could change!

I got them as a bargain anyway so I will grow them out and see what I get. They are the oh little project. Unfortunately we have lost 2 since sunday. They were too young to be at a sale tbh so cant expect too much but they seemed so active and healthy. They also seem quite vunerable to chill they get cold easily will they tolerate winter outside? It gets as cold as -5 celcius in uk. Glad to hear their legs could change!
The young chicks may still require a light until they feather out, like any normal chick, but they are a cold hardy breed. Here in the US (Mississippi) we've had winters down to around 15 degrees (-9 Celsius) and my Kraienköppe loved it, even the young ones as long as they were properly feathered out. We sometimes get a heat index of around 110-115 and so far they handle heat excellently as well.

I apologize for the late reply, haven't been spending very much time on the computer, I'll try to check back more frequently though on the thread.

Hello everyone. I have a pullet that has stumped me as far as breed. I wouldn't worry over it normally, but she has become my favorite. I want more! lol. She originated from Ideal hatchery. I have been researching and am wondering if she is a Kraienkoepper. Here she is:

and of her face:

She is starting to silver out more. This bird is approx 7-8 weeks.
Any input would be great.

She is most likely a Ideal Silver Kraienköppe, I'm not aware of any other breed they have that would fit the description. From what I can see so far, she looks pretty breeder worthy to me (For American birds), I really like her head from what I can see and her leg color. If you found a "good quality" cock, you'd probably have something to work with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom