Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
I've been wanting those ever since I saw they were coming, beautiful birds but a bit out of my price range. I hope to get some bbred and sliver ones within a month or two and maybe once the price goes down a bit get some of the gold ones too.

My Kraienkoppes came from Ideal and they have been great birds. So strong, healthy, great foragers, excellent mothers. At 1 year all three of my ladies went broody. They have continued to go broody and raise chicks all summer long. One is my lap girl and the other too are fairly skittish.

Well you guys were right! All but one of the 4 pullets legs turned yellow. One is very tiny compared to the others and has pale yellow nearly white legs. We justbought a lovely cockerel to go with them and an unrelated hen. I will post some pics when it stops raining!

One of this years cockerels. He's still pretty young and growing in so he could change, but so far I kind of like him for the most part.. If all goes well we're having a show here in MS, January 24th. I'm considering taking him and possibly 7-8 pullets, maybe another cockerel, one of my brood cocks, and a couple Shamo (just because someone asked to see them in person.)

I'll try to update photos later as he matures, as well as some other birds.

Noshipho, the Kraienköppe change more than any birds I think I have ever seen. I've had some birds who at the beginning I considered culls due to listening to other people saying "They won't change much." By a year, they became my main brood fowl. I've had the opposite happen as well. Usually by 7-8 months they are pretty solid, you may still see small changes but type wise they're set. Before that though, I never judge them much.

This little cockerel above is still growing, right now I don't like his neck length too much but.. If nothing else, bred to a hen with a longer neck maybe it will equal out in the offspring. He's a thick little dude for sure for his age. I also am not a big fan of his paling earlobes, but I've noticed the young cockerels sometimes have pale earlobes and then as they age they are solid red. As long as it's not white, I guess it doesn't matter.

Soltaria. I never allow my birds around dogs really if I can help it, so I've not seen it much. Towards me I can catch their hens with no issue so at least towards people they are not protective but that doesn't mean they aren't protective towards predators. My Kraienkõppe hens for example let me reach into the nest, pull them out, get their chicks out and handle them and the whole time they will just stand there clucking watching me.. If a cat or dog gets near the chicks however, it is a different story and they are not quite as kind. The roosters aren't terribly afraid of a dog from what I've seen, and will bow up at them or peck them- etc if the dog gets too close for comfort. But, I've never seen them in a real predator attack.

Last edited:
That sounds good. My flock is primarily wyandottes and they tend to shy away from everything. Under ideal circumstances fencing would keep everything out but I think we have all experienced something to prove nothing is 100% ideal. I worry about a coon being crafty enough to get past the defenses and I know my boys would just squawk and run. The coons seem skittish enough that bowing up may be all it takes to scare them away. Hopefully I can get some koppe chicklets soon.

Here is a pic of two of my krainkoppes. The cock I got the other day so I had some unrelated blood. Hes about 18weeks. What do people think of him?

Back
Top Bottom