Lack of respect in young people today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I don't think that's harsh at all. Well, that's not true, I'd probably put a few BOOKS in the room. But that helps with reading fluency, not quite so useless as TV, games, etc. Son absolutely HATED it when he lost his door. Told him, if you slam the door you lose it. He slammed it, he lost it for a week. Lesson learned. Think he was 10 or so at the time. MIL gave me grief over that one. "What about privacy" was one point... he's right across the hall from the loo, he can change in there. Of course, this is the MIL who STILL has holes in her walls where her kids punched the wall, kicked the wall, etc. So there you go.

The be a friend thing... part is CPS, no doubt. But there have been plenty of writers, doctor and otherwise, movies, and so on that made people afraid to punish (in any way, not spanking specifically) because it can make your child hate you, make them turn into a psycho, etc. Enough of it in pop culture alone to guarantee plenty of sheep will fall for it. Second though is that with more and more split families, both parents want their kids to love them best. Especially if the split wasn't a nice one. Even if they don't actually want/get custody there's plenty who try and use innocent children to snipe at their ex. OR who just need the ego boost that being the 'favorite parent' gives them. Whether you were the dumped one, and need to know you're still loveable. Or whether you were a jerk who ran out/around on your hubby, wife, kids, etc and you feel the urge to 'make it up to' the kids... either way it can result in a parent not disciplining for fear that the kiddo wouldn't be your friend/lose fav status.

Just my two cents you understand... but watching my Sis and Bro after Mom and their Dad divorced... seems plausible.

Quote:
Well, when I called the troopers, I had no idea who, what age, how many were out there. And, being that it's not too common for drunk kids to be walking down the road at 2am, that wouldn't have been my first thought. Also, I'm not welled versed at drunken teenager prose, so not sure I'd be able to tell if it was so. I don't think I clarified this before, but they weren't walking when I called the troopers, nor when I drove down the road. They were loitering at the end of the neighbor's driveway, and had been for at least 10 mins. As far as calling the troopers on the 4 vehicles, well, that would have been making a great assumption, being that A. I didn't see where the vehicles came from, and B. I didn't see the drivers to even take a wild guess at what age they might be. Lastly, I did not yell or "yell" at them. I asked them what they were doing. Even if I had yelled at them, when I was a kid, I would not have ever dreamed of talking to ANY adult in such manner.

Yes, there is a definate lack of repect in younger people these days..BUT.....I'm seeing a LACK OF RESPECT IN OLDER PEOPLE in this thread. There is never a need to be rude- maybe thats where our younger generation is picking it up, hmmmmm?

Go ahead- flame me for saying that, it doesnt make it any less true.

Quote:
Please forgive my apparent ignorance, but I'd appreciate if you clarify what you feel is "a LACK OF RESPECT IN OLDER PEOPLE" as well as being rude.

I forgive you!
wink.png
I find it rude when people start questioning the OP in such an forceful way that she feels the need to be defensive. If you have to say "Sorry if this sounds rude" or "I dont mean to offend" , you ARE being rude most likely.

Most of us grew up with the saying, "If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" I know it doesnt apply to EVERY situation, but geeze, if you read ALL the posts, sometimes some of the responses have an angry, 'mind your own bee's wax' feel.

I personally think the OP was in the right, BUT- lets not forget the topic- The irrehensible behavior of some drunk,under age kids. NO WAY is thier behavior acceptable, NO MATTER WHAT the OP did. Foul language and no respect for an adult- horrible. It almost sounds like some folks here think she deserved that treatment for her confronting those little criminals. YES, criminals, or juvenile delinquents, whatever you want to call them.

The parents of those kids should be ashamed. The fruit doesnt usually fall far from the tree.

Quote:
I would have to agree with that on the lack of respect in older people. If they were on a public street they have every right to be there, the OP's dog woke them up not the people on the street. For whatever reason if I chose to walk down my country road in the middle of the night and somebody feels the need to harass me I can promiss 100% you aren't going to like my responce to you, and I doubt you would be able to type it on this forum. The key thing is I have the right to be on the street no matter what people think....sorry if you don't like that.

To all the people that jump on the bring out a gun bandwagon that is the worst thing you can do unless you are prepared to back it up with deadly force.

well if'n u live in the country and it isn't illegal to discharge a firearm, holler SHUDDUP and put a couple holes into the ground in front of ya. Usually works wonders around here.

I had a person do that to me once and they got the suprise of their lives when I took the gun from them and gave them an education in gun control by beating them with their own gun. All the big bad talk went away when they found somebody that was ready to back it up.

Steve​

Quote:
I don't see it on this thread, but I do see it on a daily basis in my store. It's true that the younger generation has to be TAUGHT respect from the older one, however, I also know a LOT of good parents whose kids just didn't turn out good... it happens.

Quote:
So you think it's ok to be LOUD enough for a dog IN THE HOUSE to hear you? That's pretty dang loud... and pretty dang rude too! The OPs dog was doing what it was supposed to do. Alerting her to something out of the ordinary. I notice that she hadn't said if this had happened before, and if not, the dog was right to bark because it was strange.

Quote:
You're absolutely right, and I absolutely am.

Quote:
That, I highly doubt in my case, I didn't party and was raised to respect other people.

You may have been a good kid - but that doesnt mean that adults didnt stereotype you in with the rest of the teenage population
wink.png

Quote:
That, I highly doubt in my case, I didn't party and was raised to respect other people.

You may have been a good kid - but that doesnt mean that adults didnt stereotype you in with the rest of the teenage population
wink.png

That is true, but I also had enough sense at that age to not care what people thought of the general population and once they knew me, all was good.
smile.png

Quote:
wink.png

That is true, but I also had enough sense at that age to not care what people thought of the general population and once they knew me, all was good.
smile.png

Lol, Im the same way
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom