Lakenvelders

O.k., sat here for an hour and read this thread as it appears to be one of the best (and only) longer threads on Lakenvelders. Now it is almost spring again and no one has posted photos of chicks or chickens in like 5 month. There were some Bantam Lakenvelders at an all youth show this weekend and the buyer didn't want them as he thought he was bidding on some adult birds on the side. If they had been LF I was going to buy them from him.
Debs flock- are you selling any hatching eggs or chicks this spring? LF breeding and/or exhibition stock??? No one shows these in WA! I'm looking into getting a handful of Continentals for showing. One question that I did not see answered: at about what age do the colors even out on these guys? Is the age different for cockerels and pullets?
Thanks!

Debs flock- are you selling any hatching eggs or chicks this spring? LF breeding and/or exhibition stock??? No one shows these in WA! I'm looking into getting a handful of Continentals for showing. One question that I did not see answered: at about what age do the colors even out on these guys? Is the age different for cockerels and pullets?
Thanks!
Oops, sorry. This thread had fallen so down on my list of active threads, this is the first I've seen your question.

Yes, I have eggs. I collect about six per day and they are all LF. I do show my birds. In fact, at the last show I overheard the judge tell his clerk......................"You hardly ever see these, but this is a really nice one!"

They are definitely still a work in progress, I'm planning to grow out at least 40 of them this year so I can do a heavy culling for markings. I'd like to see them cleaner, but that takes time.

I can also do chicks, my fertility rate has been great.

Deb

Hello, I'm still fairly new at chickens and I am getting to know the breeds currently I am working with the chanteclers here in Vermont. I live in a rural area and I am possible interested in the Laken velders due to there great foragaing ability and flighty enough to avoid preditors. I am currently using electric fencing around my coop at night And during the day but... when the grass starts growing again I would love a bird that can free range and just come back to the coop at night. so I can keepthe fence off during the day. My question for you all..

Can anyone speak to the dual purpose of the breed? In other wards are they a decent enough meat bird? How large do the roos get? At this time I am not interested in showing birds. I keep birds to feed my family but I am in love with heritage breeds.

Thanks

lakenvelderhaan_lobith.jpg

lakenvelderhennen2007.jpg

lakvelbuffs.jpg

lakvelwei.jpg

blue:
blauwlakenveldergroot.jpg

lakenvelderhaangrootblauw2008_1.jpg

bantam:
lakenvelderkrielhen2007.jpg

bantam chocolate:
DSC_0856.jpg
Gorgeous!

Hello, I'm still fairly new at chickens and I am getting to know the breeds currently I am working with the chanteclers here in Vermont. I live in a rural area and I am possible interested in the Laken velders due to there great foragaing ability and flighty enough to avoid preditors. I am currently using electric fencing around my coop at night And during the day but... when the grass starts growing again I would love a bird that can free range and just come back to the coop at night. so I can keepthe fence off during the day. My question for you all..

Can anyone speak to the dual purpose of the breed? In other wards are they a decent enough meat bird? How large do the roos get? At this time I am not interested in showing birds. I keep birds to feed my family but I am in love with heritage breeds.

Thanks
If your wanting a breed that can free range but come back to the coop dont get a lakenvelder lol. Both of mine prefer to roost high in our red pine rather than go in the coop at nice.
Also, so not a dual purpose bird, they dont get big enough for meat. I have a Barred Rock, Lakenveldes, Cochins, Andalusian, EE's,and Red comet for my standard size breeds, Everyone fo them forage just fine and all but my Lakenvelders go to bed in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom