Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
The black is more, intimidating, the white is stunning to me. And being a pure sport from the black want to help keep it around.

Decided to take a picture of a broken egg today. Forgive the messiness of the surroundings, but thought I'd post what color my eggs come out as:

Langshan egg. These photos show the broken egg I received today in natural lighting from outside and inside of the building. The egg is broken so the albumen is visible on the sides of the egg.
637baab8.jpg

019f0934.jpg

To me, it looks brown, but then I classify eggs as either white, green, blue or brown. There are no in-betweens for me.

Here are some pics of my old pair of White Langshans i use to have. I really like the Whites, they are my favorite color, they are pretty impressive when they are correct.

26220_ygygjgfddddd.jpg

26220_gvhhvhhhh.jpg

26220_1lang.jpg

rodriguezpoultry you emailed me a few weeks ago and i was going to send you some pics of the younger ones i have growing out, i took some pics but i forgot to send them so i will post some here. If you want to see some more just let me know and i can email you a few more.

Sorry for all the other birds in the pics there are 2 langshans in there.

683.jpg

710.jpg

724.jpg

I simply love the female in that top photo! The male looks much better than mine, I want his tail angle on my male! Ah well, with the upright tail of one of the blue females, the F2 chicks should look MUCH better than my male right now!

Absolutely stunning white female. The youngsters look promising too, alot of growing left to do. I'm liking that cockerel. He's promising!

Yes they still have a lot of growing to do, it seems like to takes forever for them to get finished growing. I have a few more a little younger than the ones in the pics, they look like they are filling out nicely. I have a few black pullets that i may breed over the whites this year and see what i get. I don't know if mine are recessive or Dominate white and i would like to know.

I would like to get a couple of really good quality trios of blacks and blues. I would love to find some from Forrest's line but i would settle for any good quality birds. Does anyone know any breeders around VA or that would be willing to deliver to the crossroads show this year?

The only breeder i know in VA is Joel Gilmore. He has blacks and whites and i did see a splash hen or 2 he was breeding over some blacks when i was there. I think his are from Tommy Stanleys old line, I know there are a few breeders in NC, i see them talk on the Langshan yahoo group. I may get in contact with some of the breeders in NC and see what line they have, it seems like a lot of the breeders with Forrest's line are out west.

The more I watch this young cockerel the more promise I see... More and more green sheen everytime I look at him. On the photos of the eggs I posted, is that the color that people are talking about being "purple"?

Abeds, did you have other colors in the Langshans? How many chicks did you wind up with from the pair?

I only hatched around 20 chicks off of that orginal pair, of those I gave a few to a friend and I kept and culled through the others. I kept 3 hens and a rooster for my self. I had to move about a year ago and I had to many birds so I gave my white langshans to the same friend, she has a decent size flock of around a dozen hens and a few roosters. Now that I have moved and got some of my pens set back up she gave me around 30 young birds thise year, I had culled through them and kept around a dozen or so. I had 1 beautiful male, he was the biggest and best looking but all the sudden he got wry tail so I culled him, I want to get a few more this year from her and in not to much longer my older ones should start laying so I can hatch off of my own birds. I also have 2 black pullets, they are looking really good, I am going to breed them over my whites. I would like to get some blues sometime this year as well.

One of my whites has a 1/2 black feather, I know if I was going to show it I could just pluck that feather but do you think it would make a difference if I breed it.

This is going to sound off, but I would pluck it and note it. The black feather usually show up in birds that are recessive white. It's something I've noticed in other breeds also. Some cull against the black feathers but to me it's similar to a Barred Plymouth Rock that shows a few black feathers in the body. The barring is generally better in birds that show a black feather or two. Just pluck and you've got a bird ready to kick butt in the show ring.

Edited for my poor typing abilities on the iPhone...

Last edited:
One of the white chicks passed. Tried everything I could to get it to survive, but it just failed to thrive. Kind of a relief really. I didn't realize until last night that it was blind. I know nothing of the back-line of these birds so it's possible there was simply too much inbreeding going on and that the birds are too closely related. To counteract that, I've got non-related black and blue females in with the white male and my blue male over the white females. This will help increase size, type as well as help diversify the future offspring when I breed back to a white bird.

Back
Top Bottom