Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
Quote:
Sorry about the lil white one! It is sort of a blessing in disguise - does blindness run in the whites or perhaps just in this line? Or a fluke?

I doubt it runs in the lines or even in the whites. To my thinking, it shouldn't be anything different than if someone accidentally got a white bird from their pair of blacks. Just a different color. The other white chick is doing great, growing fairly fast. The one that passed, since I don't know the background of the birds, I can only assume the parents were too closely related or it was just a fluke. I've never seen a blind chick (that was natural without Vitiligo) so I have a feeling this one was one of those things that comes out of the left field.

It's possible it's in the line, but since all of the crosses and pures are coming out without blindness...but it could be that I haven't hatched enough chicks yet either?

55253_103_0135.jpg

Hopefully, this is a pic of my langshan roo.

55253_103_0136.jpg

Same roo, different pic.

55253_103_0137.jpg

You can see the curve in his tail better in this picture. I think there's too much of an angle to it though.

55253_103_0138.jpg

This pic is of my favorite hen. She has a nice U-shaped curve to her tail and she just seems very feminine and hen-like to me.

I am posting some photos of my kids out of my Langshans roo and my big black Jersey Giant hens. For lack of anything to bred him to I crossed these and got some magnificent offspring. For my laying flock only! At this time I have 3 pullets and 2 roos growing up. We will be eating the roos when they are big enough but those girls will stay in my free range flock.

Here they are at 3 mths old. All legs and neck. Hatched in November.

9332_langs_babe.jpg

9332_langshans_roos.jpg

Got some pullets coming soon so I will be able to cross true Langshans. I just adore the regal breed! And my roo has so much grace and fabulous temperament, whether free ranging or penned.

Quote:
I have a Jersey Giant rooster, but I don't know if my little bantam porcelain d'uccles would let him near my Langshan hens. They are hatchery stock. Thanks for posting pics, I'm wondering if I do hatch any Black Langshan with porcelain d'uccle roo if I'd end up with a sexlink.

Quote:
By the name of the seller, it's Dick Horstman, he has REALLY good stock. I wish I could get them but I'm going to stick with largefowl longer and get a feel for the white genes and how they work before spreading out to bantams.

Just a random thought of the day...why is it Langshan chicks are SO quiet whereas Polish x Production Red chicks have the most annoying and shrillest noises on earth?

Back
Top Bottom