Langshan Thread!!!

lol.png
Okay! I'll give it another try. It may just be the photos or angle of the shot but pullet 2 looks to have more narrow feathers in her tail. It also looks like she does not have as broad a tail spread as the other two but again that may be the angle of the shot. Also, could they use a little more depth in their chest in order to have that upside down bowler hat profile? Will they have a chance of developing this as they mature? I can't really tell how wide bodies are on the first 2 but the 3rd one looks like she has a wide body based on she is standing. I may be way off on these observations but I want to learn and that means daring to be wrong!
wink.png

Think you might be right about the slightly narrower tail feathers. They're relatively young so we might get some more depth. There's one thing that about #1 and one thing about #2 I'm not terribly wild about. See if you can spot them.

Think you might be right about the slightly narrower tail feathers. They're relatively young so we might get some more depth. There's one thing that about #1 and one thing about #2 I'm not terribly wild about. See if you can spot them.
Is the thing about #1 the way her tail starts abruptly instead of flowing from her back? I'm sure there is a correct way of saying that. Hmm...looking at my SOP. So, it says for females that it should rise from middle of the back in a sharp, concave sweep ending well up on tail.

Is the thing about #1 the way her tail starts abruptly instead of flowing from her back? I'm sure there is a correct way of saying that. Hmm...looking at my SOP. So, it says for females that it should rise from middle of the back in a sharp, concave sweep ending well up on tail.

Yup! We'll see if this changes as her tail coverts/cushion grows in, but right now that abrupt transition is something to look out for.

How about #2?

Yup! We'll see if this changes as her tail coverts/cushion grows in, but right now that abrupt transition is something to look out for.

How about #2?
Whoo hooo!!!!! I can't believe that I got it right! Hmm.....have to look at #2 some more. You don't have any more pics of her, do you?
smile.png

Okay, you've got me.  I'm busy measuring the angle of her tail and examining her head.  Does she have too much fluff on her bum? :D

See? I knew you could figure it out. She does have too much fluff for my ideal. She might grow into it, might not. It's a very minor thing but you can see the difference between the amount of fluff she has and that pullet that I posted from the Ohio national.

Edit: I should say since this seems like a good time, that there is no perfect bird and I'm thrilled to have such high quality stock to restart with and am eternally grateful to the breeder I got then from. All three will be one corner of the foundation of my breeding program.

Last edited:
See? I knew you could figure it out. She does have too much fluff for my ideal. She might grow into it, might not. It's a very minor thing but you can see the difference between the amount of fluff she has and that pullet that I posted from the Ohio national.

Edit: I should say since this seems like a good time, that there is no perfect bird and I'm thrilled to have such high quality stock to restart with and am eternally grateful to the breeder I got then from. All three will be one corner of the foundation of my breeding program.
They are a beautiful start to your breeding program. I'm looking forward to seeing how they mature.

They are a beautiful start to your breeding program.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they mature. 

Me too, breeder says they usually mature around 9-10 months. Between these three and a Black Hen I got in spring from same breeder, the cockerel that came with them, my White pair and the three keeper pullets from them, a blue and splash pullet from Mikaela and my other Blue pullet, should be a great foundation. This first year I'm going to pen the females by color and rotate the two males through all three pens. The plan is to use this year's hatch to create a fourth pen/clan/family and then use a yearly rotational clan breeding system, with supplemental breeding so I don't run short in any one color. Thanks to the way Blue works and the fact that our White is a recessive White I'm not going to worry at all about color just type.

That was an interesting read. I'm sure many of us were playing along at home. Those pullets appear to have a nice iridescence. I love the glossy look of the Langshan. To me that's one of things that separates them from just another black chicken.

Back
Top Bottom