Large Fowl Cochin Thread

gaylittleswan, I just purchased a beautiful LF (frizzle) pair from Jamie Matts in New York. He truly has beautiful birds! You can find him on Facebook on Cochins International, or pm me and I'll put you in touch.
:)

I enjoy a variety of breeds but I am so excited that today I set some LE Lemon Blues with broody Phoenix. I have a friend who does a beautiful job needing cochins. LE and bantam. 21 days is soooooo long!

Last edited:
I purchased 4 hens from Meyers hatchery. 2 managed to survive the pecking order and abuse from the roosters and mostly the hens. They are very docile and not an aggressive breed. The large fowl really do meet the weight they suggest in charts. Egg size is medium to large mostly. The only downfall I can see is they can easily be picked on by otheer birds. They have great temperment with people and are very attractive. I hhave the all white color.
I am at the beginning of realising my dream of having a small flock (4 birds) to share my life with and my garden.

Am toying with the idea of getting Cochin chickens.

I've found a breeder who will sell me 4 birds, 6 weeks old, vaccinated, but he will not guarantee that the 4 birds are all females.

My question is this: If a rooster (or two, or even three) come home with me, will they be alright together? I've heard that cochins are laid back, but would they fight over the female? And even if it turns out I have one rooster and the other three are pullets, would they get harassed by the rooster? (over mating I think it's called)

any advice is much appreciated!

I am at the beginning of realising my dream of having a small flock (4  birds) to share my life with and my garden.

Am toying with the idea of getting Cochin chickens.

I've found a breeder who will sell me  4 birds, 6 weeks old, vaccinated, but he will not guarantee that the 4 birds are all females.

My question is this: If a rooster (or two, or even three) come home with me, will they be alright together? I've heard that cochins are laid back, but would they fight over the female? And even if it turns out I have one rooster and the other three are pullets, would they get harassed by the rooster? (over mating I think it's called)

any advice is much appreciated!

It depends on how large your area is, but
I would plan on getting rid of any extra roosters if your goal is to maintain a small flock. This way, you prevent a ton of problems before they start. Imagine 3 roosters breeding 1 hen! Poor girl.
No, I don't think they'd kill each other but they certainly won't be happy either. And your hen will be REALLY unhappy.

It depends on how large your area is, but
I would plan on getting rid of any extra roosters if your goal is to maintain a small flock. This way, you prevent a ton of problems before they start. Imagine 3 roosters breeding 1 hen! Poor girl.
No, I don't think they'd kill each other but they certainly won't be happy either. And your hen will be REALLY unhappy.
I'm planning on having them free range in my 4,000m2 (almost 1 acre) garden, which is planted with fruit trees, flowers, bushes, veggies, and completely enclosed.
They would have a coop to sleep/lay in measuring 160cm by 120cm (approx 21 square feet)
maybe if there are more than 2 roosters I could keep the any trouble maker in a bachelor run...

I'm planning on having them free range in my 4,000m2 (almost 1 acre) garden, which is planted with fruit trees, flowers, bushes, veggies, and completely enclosed.
They would have a coop to sleep/lay in measuring 160cm by 120cm (approx 21 square feet)
maybe if there are more than 2 roosters I could keep the any trouble maker in a bachelor run...

Ultimately your choice. If it were me, I'd sell or cull the extra roosters or I'd search for sexed Cochins. It prevents a lot of stress later in the game if you're like me and get super attached to your Cochins.
Best of luck!

Its funny but birds that are hatched together usually get along better regardless of sex. Keep in mind that it is a roosters duty to reproduce and protect the flock. You would be best to have 4 hens and no roosters! I would opt for another source to get what you really need.

Back
Top Bottom