Larkwell Valley (2023)

Okay.

If these ducks ended up with MG from hatching from contaminated eggs, how long until I would know? Or would it be pretty soon after hatching?
@Pyxis, any chance you know this answer? I'm thinking I'm just going to wait and see if I can get put on a wait list for a different breeder to hopefully get eggs from next year though at this point

@Pyxis, any chance you know this answer? I'm thinking I'm just going to wait and see if I can get put on a wait list for a different breeder to hopefully get eggs from next year though at this point

Waterfowl can often carry MG without showing any symptoms - sometimes the only thing that they show is a drop of fertility. You can always test the ducklings if you want to spend the money - there's a lab called Zoologix that will test samples you send them.

Waterfowl can often carry MG without showing any symptoms - sometimes the only thing that they show is a drop of fertility. You can always test the ducklings if you want to spend the money - there's a lab called Zoologix that will test samples you send them.
Okay, thanks.

I'm thinking I might pass on the eggs this year, it just makes me nervous since this was the only place I could find any for sale this year, that something might happen and they stop selling too. Probably nothing to actually be nervous about, but I don't want to risk getting MG since then even my eggs aren't safe

@Canadian Wind @The Moonshiner do your scovy hens make a different peeping trill when brooding? A-hole has started making a new sound and I found a few eggs in a shallow hole lined with feathers in her pen
The feather lining is a sure sign! They'll end up with a nest full of fluffy (not YOU, Fluffy!) down that you want to crawl into yourself!

Now that you mention it, I do believe they DO make a slightly different trill when broody. Much nicer than the loud QUACKWACKWACK of a broody duck.

The feather lining is a sure sign! They'll end up with a nest full of fluffy (not YOU, Fluffy!) down that you want to crawl into yourself!

Now that you mention it, I do believe they DO make a slightly different trill when broody. Much nicer than the loud QUACKWACKWACK of a broody duck.
Yeah, this is like a high pitched whistle trill when she gets up and sees me with food and water. I think Luna (or Twila, it was hard to see through the window screen last night) is wanting to join her

Yeah, this is like a high pitched whistle trill when she gets up and sees me with food and water. I think Luna (or Twila, it was hard to see through the window screen last night) is wanting to join her
Poor Piper, I think she's the only one not setting on this nest now. Poor Moose too, I'm going to have to pen him up soon, I might put the Pekin back with him during that time so he's not completely alone if Piper starts setting too

Back
Top Bottom