Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
This has been a bad falling winter for me... lots of snow! the week before I got this back bruise, I banged my leg, then I fell again about a week ago landed on my butt, today I just banged my funny bone and my upper right arm, all on the way to the coop. (I don't have a problem if I am not carrying anything) but winter is almost over right?
Lots of ice out there now...be super careful! We are taking falls all over the place at our farm too.

My thinking about the eggs that quit. I don't believe it was bacterial, no signs of it. But even though I only set the ones that were warm or cool, maybe they did get too cold before set. I did a bit of an experiment and put some in my freezer. When the eggs got close to the 39°-40° zone the yolk changed consistency when warmed back up. All membranes stayed intact and it wasn't a huge difference, but noticeable to the eye when cracked open. Maybe it degraded the cellular structure enough..... (Big guess only)
Moving on from that, I just set 3 eggs. 1 laid inside and 2 in the coop and were still warm and laid within the half hour. So they won't be part of this HAL, except to keep the other 2 eggs company!

My thinking about the eggs that quit. I don't believe it was bacterial, no signs of it. But even though I only set the ones that were warm or cool, maybe they did get too cold before set. I did a bit of an experiment and put some in my freezer. When the eggs got close to the 39°-40° zone the yolk changed consistency when warmed back up. All membranes stayed intact and it wasn't a huge difference, but noticeable to the eye when cracked open. Maybe it degraded the cellular structure enough..... (Big guess only)
Moving on from that, I just set 3 eggs. 1 laid inside and 2 in the coop and were still warm and laid within the half hour. So they won't be part of this HAL, except to keep the other 2 eggs company!
I believe that may be the case with mine as well. Still have in the incubator that have blood vessels but do not seem any bigger than they did several days ago. May put some more in and see if the new ones will do better.

I believe that may be the case with mine as well.  Still have in the incubator that have blood vessels but do not seem any bigger than they did several days ago.  May put some more in and see if the new ones will do better. 

Mine went from being fine one day, gone the next. These new 3 were laid under very good conditions. We'll see how it goes..,
Good luck on yours. Hope they make it!!!!

Lockdown tonight 7 out of 18
Our chickies have slowed with the frosty snap. But we've got 18 more ready and whatever we pick up over the weekend. Ready to reset #2 fertility check from our EE pen.

Our chickies have slowed with the frosty snap. But we've got 18 more ready and whatever we pick up over the weekend. Ready to reset #2 fertility check from our EE pen.

Good luck!!!
1f340.png

There is a theory out there about hatching eggs that had already been refrigerated. That the females are the only ones that hatch. I did set 3 dozen refrigerated eggs last Spring and I had about 1/3 of them hatch. Your guess is as good as mine here...experiment experiment experiment!

Mine went from being fine one day, gone the next. These new 3 were laid under very good conditions. We'll see how it goes..,
Good luck on yours. Hope they make it!!!!
I am sorry you lost your hatch...
hugs.gif

Best of luck on your lockdown!
jumpy.gif

I candled yesterday a little bit:
My sisters speckled sussex are a no go. They were in the fridge for a bit...but, I had to try.
The spitzhaubens are looking good. May be about 6 eggs which are not developing.

My favorite hen Amelia (This is not her pic but the Farm parent to her) and her eggs are fertile!!! I have been trying to hatch her offspring all last year and no development. This year those little silkie sizzle eggs are fertile. Can't wait to see what pops out there! She's in a pen with a ton of different colored silkies and on Cemani...Should be interesting!
I think I set like 15 of her eggs and most of them were showing vein development! So cool!

The White pavs are developing too and the other are dark...like a BCM egg that I can not see in.

Exciting stuff!

I've hatched from the fridge too. There's a Trader Joes thread here that's very cool to follow. It's how I ended up with LouLou the house duck...
I've got 5 more in the bator that I collected yesterday. Each one collected within a half hour of laying and one was even laid in a cage inside.... (My white mallard Peep had been inside away from the boys overnight!)
Hoping for the best....

I've hatched from the fridge too. There's a Trader Joes thread here that's very cool to follow. It's how I ended up with LouLou the house duck...
I've got 5 more in the bator that I collected yesterday. Each one collected within a half hour of laying and one was even laid in a cage inside.... (My white mallard Peep had been inside away from the boys overnight!)
Hoping for the best....
I followed that TJ thread for a while. Even bought eggs there and where I purchased they were not fertile. bummer! How do you like the duck eggs? Do you eat them and use them for baking? I heard they are far superior for bakers!

I followed that TJ thread for a while. Even bought eggs there and where I purchased they were not fertile.  bummer! How do you like the duck eggs? Do you eat them and use them for baking?  I heard they are far superior for bakers!

I loooooove duck eggs. So yummy! My favorite is over easy and dip the toast!! We make quiche all the time because we get so many eggs and quiche freezes well. Made one yesterday, eggs, cheese (taco blend) and added defrosted tater tots..... Yummy! They are great for baking, very fluffy. Plus many people that can't eat chicken eggs, can eat duck eggs!

Back
Top Bottom