Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
I candled on day 14 and found my air cells to be very small. My humidity has been between 40-45% pretty consistently, but my hens are pretty young and their egg shells are awfully thick, I read that might inhibit evaporation. Anyway, I've been running it dry (stays at about 20% humidity dry) for two days. They still seem small but I think they are getting bigger, I didn't mark the air cells until today (day 16). I'll see if they look better by day 18. If they are still small, should I not put the humidity all the way to 65%, or ?? Also, my eggs are sitting upright in cartons, can they hatch this way or should I remove them before lockdown? This is a homemade incubator I bought used and the cartons are actually attached with zip ties, but I can cut them off.
From that picture the air cells look pretty good. You can hatch in the cartons it will keep the eggs from knocking together at hatch. The only problem is that you may not see a pip on the bottom; but. that's okay too. Humidity at hatch is a personal choice...I tend to keep mine a little lower than 65% but that's just from trial and err in NY.

Happy hatching!

No, I doubt it..... It was placed in a very seperate part of the house against the wall, only way it could have gotten severly jarred would have been to push it onto the floor.
hmm.png

Thanks for the picture, In comparison I think all 8 of the BSL are probably not fertile, not died after development. I have been getting fertile eggs from them, so not sure why they would suddenly stop. My roos are rather young, 10-11 months, so maybe I'll get better hatch rates in the future.
If they were not fertile they may look ombre to you. Tell that roo to quit slacking! It gives you an excuse to set a lot more next time!

When I was weighing my eggs prior to setting them I bobbled one and dropped it 2-3 inches. I checked it over for cracks but didn't see any, so I set it. Saturday I weighed the 19 that I weighed initially (out of 72) and #14 came up with a 22.6% weight loss. I thought I'd weighed the wrong one, but when I pulled it out to re-weight it, I found a small amber bead on the outside and could see a crack. I checked it again and I'd weighed it right the first time. Guess I wasn't as lucky as I thought, so I'm down to 71.

I cracked it open and it was fertilized, but it looked like it aborted on day 4 or 5.

I should be getting some newborn bunnies on the weekend and hatching chicks next Monday or Tuesday. My daughter and I are quite excited.

Woot! This is my first hatch since I was a kid. My indian runner duck eggs were on day 9 of incubation yesterday and I candled them. All 10 eggs had veins and a small dark spot that moved-- picture perfect fetal ducklings. Looked exactly like the photos online and in books. I'm amazed I didn't need to cull any eggs and am thrilled! This is my practice hatch before the easter hatch-a-long.
celebrate.gif

Even better (?) this morning I stood outside the duck pen for 6 min. so a hen could finish laying her egg. That egg will be incubated for the easter hatch-a-long.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom