Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
37 in the incubator...french black/blue/splash marans and some mixes

Well, its a couple of hours into my Day 21 and I have already had 49 hatches and 22 pips. There are only 11 eggs that have no sign of a pip. I have already transferred 31 of my chicks out into my greenhouse brooder under the Premier1 brooder plates. I have also moved 2 of my 25 day old chicks in with them. In my past hatches I found it was helpful to the new chicks to have these slightly older chicks there for a week. The older chicks already know how to eat and drink, so its a good example for the newbies. Of course I dip the beak of every newbie in the water, and then stuff them under the brooder plate so they get a good idea of what's going on.

So that gives me a current hatch rate of 59.76%, and a potential hatch rate of 86.59%. If all the pips make it out ok, this will have been my best hatch ever
celebrate.gif

I want opinions or facts from fellow hatchers... Duck egg specific. I collected a group of eggs this morning. I had to rinse them under water, they were nasty. That being said, they have the highest chances of fertility being I culled all but 4 males yesterday. (I needed to cut out all second generation inbreeding). One egg specifically though, I am positive of mom and dad, I'm hoping to hatch. Do I set immediately or let them rest for 24 hour first??

This is my first time hatching eggs on my own (the last time I hatched I was like 7 with the help of my grandfather) I have 7 eggs set, 3 Easter eggers, 2 black australorp, and 2 cuckoo marans. One of my black australorps has a cracked shell that i repaired with candle wax. I'm on day 12 and in a few of the eggs there hasn't been any growth in the air cells since day 7. My humidity has been pretty steady between 40-45%. Any suggestions to get some growth? hatch day is March 1st.

This is my first time hatching eggs on my own (the last time I hatched I was like 7 with the help of my grandfather) I have 7 eggs set, 3 Easter eggers, 2 black australorp, and 2 cuckoo marans. One of my black australorps has a cracked shell that i repaired with candle wax. I'm on day 12 and in a few of the eggs there hasn't been any growth in the air cells since day 7. My humidity has been pretty steady between 40-45%. Any suggestions to get some growth? hatch day is March 1st.

I don't like dramatic changes inside the bator, but the only way you are going to make the air sack grow is to drop humidity, or wait. So, drop the humidity by 5% a day for 3 days (and no more), see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom