Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Cute chicks everyone!

Mine are doing pretty good, considering yesterday's fiasco...
at 1:30 the power went out. I wrapped the incubator in multiple blankets. At 4:30 it still wasn't back on, so we took the incubator to my grandmother's house, who lives ten minutes away. It was still wrapped. The eggs were in turners, so they took the trip well. Once it was plugged back in I took the blankets off and the temp was down to 76.5 Humidity was at 90%
ep.gif

I took the plug out of the top to let some humidity out but didn't risk opening the lid to encourage the temp to get back up. Before we left, I replaced the plug. Right now, I'm at my grandmothers. Just added some more water and candled. Most are still moving
fl.gif

They were working on the power when we left our house, but we're not going to risk moving the incubator again. Lock down is Friday, and we will be coming every day to take care of the eggs. This will be a new experience. I will probably spend the weekend with my grandmother so I can keep an eye on the hatch. We will be bringing the chicks home after they hatch.

Cute chicks everyone!

Mine are doing pretty good, considering yesterday's fiasco...
at 1:30 the power went out. I wrapped the incubator in multiple blankets. At 4:30 it still wasn't back on, so we took the incubator to my grandmother's house, who lives ten minutes away. It was still wrapped. The eggs were in turners, so they took the trip well. Once it was plugged back in I took the blankets off and the temp was down to 76.5 Humidity was at 90%
ep.gif

I took the plug out of the top to let some humidity out but didn't risk opening the lid to encourage the temp to get back up. Before we left, I replaced the plug. Right now, I'm at my grandmothers. Just added some more water and candled. Most are still moving
fl.gif

They were working on the power when we left our house, but we're not going to risk moving the incubator again. Lock down is Friday, and we will be coming every day to take care of the eggs. This will be a new experience. I will probably spend the weekend with my grandmother so I can keep an eye on the hatch. We will be bringing the chicks home after they hatch.

As temperature decreases the amount of water vapor a given space can hold decreases, and therefore the RH% goes up (without actually changing the amount of water vapor existing in the given space). So, since your temperature went down to 76.5 it makes perfect sense that the RH% went up considerably.

Should this sort of thing ever happen again, rather than attempting to reduce RH%, first regain your desired temperature...and then see what the RH% is.

So, @MadamPoofyBrow , you should be just fine.

Last edited:

Well here's my chick pile of 25 so far
There's one egg currently wiggling and 1 wrong egg pipper (it's been 19 hours on the wrong end pipper but I can see that it's still alive)
It's day 21 1/2 and 30 went into lockdown

Oh and turns out (of the chicks fluffed and dry) that my Easter Egger is the father of ALL the chicks but 1! I know he's the father because they have muffs (cute fluffy cheeks
love.gif
) and the father of the 1 without muffs is the Silver/Sebright Thai mix.

Last edited:
In the last 10 months I have hatched 355 chicks, from which 166 died before they got to 6 weeks old. 98% of those dead chicks were flattened. I'm of the opinion that flattened chicks did not get smothered, they failed to stand up for themselves. IOWs, there was something wrong with them, and the other chicks shamelessly stood on them to get their body heat.

Just candled my 37.

13 clears. 12 of those were my marans. 3 maran eggs left.

24 left look wonderful, marans crosses

Looks lime my roo prefers the exotic breeds in my coop over his own kind. Must have a talk with that boy.

Either that or my maran girls are too smart and fast for him!

Noooooo!!!!!!
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

Last night I added a second set of Indian runner duck eggs bringing my total to 10 about to hatch and 31 new to hatch around easter. About 2 hrs later the temp was reaching normal (99.2-100.0F) so I thought all was good. An hour after that I discovered the temp was at 118 F and climbing on the digital themometer (temp readout on the second, bulb thermometer was only about 105F?). Digital thermometer is kept on the side of the bator and bulb thermometer is kept on top of the eggs lying right under the forced air fan. Normally the thermometers match within 1 F. Eggs were immediately cooled and the wafer on the Hovabactor temp control was fixed (somehow came off the screw somewhat and jammed??). As of this morning the eggs due to hatch next Friday still have movement in them. . .
fl.gif

I just want to cry. These ducklings are so close to hatch and the realization that they may have all cooked to death (or are in the throes of dying) is more than I can handle. Yup, it's part of life but a part I caused by not realizing the temperature control had somehow gone wonky. How does this happen in a brand new bator anyway?
barnie.gif

I'm afraid I may be going on a stress duckling buying spree at Bomgauers. Must resist and pray (ha! I'm atheist!) that some of my duckers survive.
hide.gif

It's a forced air incubator and only took 5 min. with the lid off to bring temp down to 98F. . what are my chances some will survive? HELP!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom