Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Well my hatch just keeps going. We have had at least 2 chicks hatch everyday since Tuesday. The lady I got the eggs from had given me a head start and it resulted in a staged hatch. So far 13/16, 81.25%, hatch rate. Now my incubator sticks after a long drawn out hatch.

Well my hatch just keeps going. We have had at least 2 chicks hatch everyday since Tuesday. The lady I got the eggs from had given me a head start and it resulted in a staged hatch. So far 13/16, 81.25%, hatch rate. Now my incubator sticks after a long drawn out hatch.

I candled eggs and pulled one out. When I cracked it the egg was clearly unfertilized. Other two look like they have viable chicks. Not movement or pipping though. I'll give them 24 hours.
1f64f-1f3fb.png
1f64f-1f3fb.png
1f64f-1f3fb.png

I have 15 leghorns coming from Murray McMurray in a couple weeks...They are going to need their fluff in this Central NY cold!  How are your chicks otherwise?

They did great, feathered in fine and grew up to be beautiful roosters, but they are long gone now, they were the "frypan special" and that's exactly where they went!

I have just had one of the most rewarding experiences I can remember. I have two hatches in brooders, some 7 day-olds, and others 4 weeks and 4-day olds. I put an ad in our Kijiji (kinda the Cdn Craig's List) offering chicks for sale. Well, a lady asked to put some and she arrived today with her daughter and grandson (maybe 6?). I showed them the parents, which they looked at for more than 30 minutes (much to my surprise), and then into the greenhouse with the chicks. They oohed and awed and the grandson picked 4, the daughter 2, and the Mom 20. I had said I only wanted to sell the non-brown/black chicks, but in the end let 4 of them go...the family was just too irresistible...
wee.gif

This is the first time I have ever sold chicks, and I got C$84 for 26 of them, $3 each for the 1 week-olds, and $4 for the 4 week olds. I have to say, I feel like I made a fortune. I should point out they were unsexed.

On top of that, the buyer has purebred Black Copper Marans, so, if they will be carrying on my project in their flock, which is very cool, and something they were very exited about.

I had gotten a call from a lady that heard I had chicks, I wasn't even planning to sell any but she had mail ordered 4 chicks and 2 of hers didn't make it. She drove to my house an hr away, I told her she could have 2 pullet chicks for $5 each, when she paid she gave me $20 for the 2 chicks and I said I didn't have change, she said Don't worry about it and thanks again...

I have just had one of the most rewarding experiences I can remember. I have two hatches in brooders, some 7 day-olds, and others 4 weeks and 4-day olds. I put an ad in our Kijiji (kinda the Cdn Craig's List) offering chicks for sale. Well, a lady asked to put some and she arrived today with her daughter and grandson (maybe 6?). I showed them the parents, which they looked at for more than 30 minutes (much to my surprise), and then into the greenhouse with the chicks. They oohed and awed and the grandson picked 4, the daughter 2, and the Mom 20. I had said I only wanted to sell the non-brown/black chicks, but in the end let 4 of them go...the family was just too irresistible...
wee.gif

This is the first time I have ever sold chicks, and I got C$84 for 26 of them, $3 each for the 1 week-olds, and $4 for the 4 week olds. I have to say, I feel like I made a fortune. I should point out they were unsexed.

On top of that, the buyer has purebred Black Copper Marans, so, if they will be carrying on my project in their flock, which is very cool, and something they were very exited about.

Very cool, Russ.

Congrats to everyone who has had a successful hatch.

My turkey eggs go to lock down tues.

I have 8 left outta 14. Candled them tonight. Saw good movement in 3. The rest couldn't see much.

So if I'm lucky will end up with 3 healthy poults. Hoping for more but not getting my hopes up too much for more.

Back
Top Bottom