Lavender cuckoo easter egger

And talk about crazy leakage- black barring and creamy gold splotches on a lavender cockerel. I didn't think it was possible to have lav and black on the same bird.

wow. thats a very strange bird. never seen lavender leak black at all, its genetic freak, you should keep it and see if you reproduce its effect and maybe pin down what causing this effect

I have my first bunch hatching from this year and I just had a solid white chick hatch - I think someone else had this, but rather than go back and read it all, I thought I'd just post and see if someone has had a white chick pop up. I'm going to let it grow out and see what it feathers out like - but is this one I should even bother keeping?

Niclandia - could this be a recessive white that would help in finally getting the slate legs??? this chick has white legs, solid white feathering -

Last edited:
Niclandia - could this be a recessive white that would help in finally getting the slate legs??? this chick has white legs, solid white feathering -
it could be recessive white, but will know for sure if it turns out to be fully white when adult.. have you try to introduce Fibromelanotic to the mix? I believe the same gene inhibiting Id and Barring allowing for light slate shanks could allow Fibromelanotic to enhance the shank color to a True Dark slate shank color. and the Id and barring link would prevent their skin and face turning black at all..

check bellow cockerels, both had white silkie mothers(recessive white and fibromelanotic id+) but Fathers had Id which should have restricted the slate color to a white shanks, BUT there were something on their mother´s gene that prevented Id to fully express and allowed for slate shanks on birds that should have not had them

white Silkie mother x Barred Rock father

white silkie mother x Buff orp father(Id, white shanks)

Last edited:
do the Fibromelanotic cross with your lavender and report to us ok, we will all learn from you
sorry, please clarify what Fibromelanotic is again, I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you saying if this bird feathers out solid white, cross it with the Lavender cuckoo and see what happens?

sorry, please clarify what Fibromelanotic is again, I'm not sure I completely understand. Are you saying if this bird feathers out solid white, cross it with the Lavender cuckoo and see what happens?
ok seems you got lost on one of my post.. you see the two birds I posted? they are not supose to have Black/slate shanks, first because Id and Barring prevents it...BUT both birds have white silkie mothers, seems like recessive white and Lavender are able to partially inhibit Id(responsible for white shanks) now why Barring birds cant have slate shanks, because Id and Barring are linked by 1 or 2 centimorgan which is very very close you would need to hatch 1000 chicks for the link to be broken and expect around 10 birds to hatch with black/slate shanks...BUT seems like recessive white and lavender inhibit(prevent) Id from fully expressing and therefore show some pigment on the shanks....

now whats fibromelanotic? its the gene responsible for the Black skin on Silkies, but this gene requires id+(recessive counterpart of Id) if Id is pressent even in his heterozygous form(Id/id+) Fibromelanotic cant fully express and all of the birds will show white skin and white shanks, its actually a good Sex link method. to use a Silkie rooster mated to a white/yellow shanked hen will produce sex links(females will have id+ Fm/fm+ with black skin and visible at hatch) and males will have clear/white skin........but recessive white and/or lavender seem to partially inhibit Id expession allowing for dark slate shanks on birds(males) that are Fm/fm+(heterozygous fibromelanotic) and Id/id+(heterozygous Id)... now I dont know how Fm/fm+ and Id/Id males look, but I would assume they would still have slate shanks

the mystery of the white chick has been solved..... um
hide.gif
I forgot I had some blue wheaten eggs in the incubator
lau.gif

what a dummy I am
th.gif

the mystery of the white chick has been solved..... um
hide.gif
I forgot I had some blue wheaten eggs in the incubator
lau.gif

what a dummy I am
th.gif
LOL! That is great news though.
Donna Rippy does have some recessive white in her lavenders that pops up occasionally, but hers and mine are not related, so it would be odd to see it in these. SIlver duckwing is still a possibility.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom