Lavender Orpington project ....

I wish I had a Lavender Orpington!!!!! What is their “Personality” and are they hardy in the winter?
goodpost.gif
Yes very Winter hardy but gotta watch the roos comb for frost bite
Lay daily and most have pretty nice personalities My roo who is a good looker is mean though but that can be just personality not breed.
I had a mean English Orp roo Midnight Sold him. . He has a full brother exactly like him M2 . Hes the hugest SWEETEST roo I EVER saw.,Protects everyone out there from my mean Lavender Amercauna MEANIE .(Him I chase with the mop HE HATES the mop!!)
M2 follows me around so personality is the key.

Last edited:
No....I do not know her age....the breeder just told me she was about a month from laying. I was so new at that time, I didn't realize what questions to ask.

Sure new its hard to ask the right questionsIs she pure bred did he say? Not saying she isn't just wondering about the comb color .As I said might be unusually.
You could start a new line! Might ask in the breeding showing forum if her comb is unusual at all.

Her feathering looks nice fluffy and nice color but im no show person either just have 6 LOs to go by.
Well since shes different maybe she is close to laying Maybe her comb will stay grey. Hard to tell unless I saw her size then I could guess her age but she shouldn't lay until 5-6 months old anyway
He may have been right she could be 4 months how she looks in a pic.
Sorry im not more help

Last edited:
This is Candy at 8 weeks now. Sadly I think you are correct and she is a cockerel not a pullet! Now have to look for a new home for candy.
First pic of your 5 week old looks like a roo ... comb bigger The last pic looks like a hen light colored and smaller so ???In a couple weeks 7-8 its comb should turn pink if its a boy and stay white no big points if its a girl. I go by that myself but can be fooled The hens combs turn red when they are getting close to laying Stays white- ish before that GOOD LUCK!My roo almost grown.About 8 months old They get a lot larger taller comb than the hens

Last edited:
Mine were 8 months before they layer. One was grey turned pink now red and laying. I have lavender roos if somebody wants to trade.

Sure new its hard to ask the right questionsIs she pure bred did he say? Not saying she isn't just wondering about the comb color .As I said might be unusually.
You could start a new line! Might ask in the breeding showing forum if her comb is unusual at all.

Her feathering looks nice fluffy and nice color but im no show person either just have 6 LOs to go by.
Well since shes different maybe she is close to laying Maybe her comb will stay grey. Hard to tell unless I saw her size then I could guess her age but she shouldn't lay until 5-6 months old anyway
He may have been right she could be 4 months how she looks in a pic.
Sorry im not more help

He did say she was pure bred Lavendar Orpington. Here is a picture of her in comparison with my Buff Orpington which is about a year old, and our Easter Egger. Thanks for you input

Look at the color variation in these two sisters. They're 3 months old. I can't believe the difference. I feel like lavender is a gene that doesn't vary much in color. But I love them!

Last edited:
Hola, everyone! I'm liquidating for now, and anyone with interest in the Isabel (Lavender-diluted Buff Partridge) Orps may be interested:

My job has whipped me up and down the block for the last year or so, and that's in addition to having relatives here, being a caregiver, and home-schooling teen daughters. I'm strung out.

I have to liquidate. I've said it before, but this is really it. I have to get rid of everything that isn't legal within city limits, because the farm at which I have my breeding facility is also closing down. I have a deadline now.

So: I'm listing in BYC threads initially because so many of you are like-minded and I'd love some of my projects to go on...I'd like to get back into them eventually! I mean, these kids will be going off to college, and perhaps someday I'll have my own farm! Having a farm on someone else's property kinda stinks, really...I'd like to be able to go outside to care for all of my birds...not have to get in the car!

Anyway...

I have a flock of banty Cochins, which were moving toward Chocolate. I have a Blue hen, a Mottled trio, a Chocolate pullet, three black cockerels split to Chocolate, and a Black trio.

I have a flock of d'Uccles that were moving toward Chocolate: 5 Chocolate pullets, a split cockerel, a Black Copper roo, a 6 pack of Isabel chicks and lots of Black and Chocolate chicks.

I have a flock of Marans: a trio of FBCM, 2 Chocolate Copper pullets, a Black roo, a Blue hen, a Splash hen...and tons of chicks, many of them split to or fully Chocolate.

I have a flock of Silkies: 3 Black hens, a Blue roo, a Splash hen, and a White hen. Tons of varied chicks.

The Konzas. Here my heart breaks. I have 5 roos and 10 pullets and a bunch of chicks. They are magnificent. I may just try to keep them locally somewhere if someone around here will foster the project for a bit. They are everything I wanted them to be.

I have a Chocolate Rock project, but need to inventory them...

I also have a trio of Bourbon Reds, a pair of Royal Palms, and 4 or 6 poults of varied lineage.

*sigh*

Message me if you're interested. I will ship.

Can someone please tell me how I can get involved in the Lavender Orpington Project? I've absolutely fallen in love with them, but don't think I'll have my own until Spring...sigh. I've had various chickens throughout my life (my dad was a partner in a pheasant farm, but we have RIRs and various breeds that were kept on the pheasant farm. The past 6 yrs or so we've had Americaunas, and I've added cookoo marans, a lt. brahma, leghorn, easter egger, and a gold laced wyandotte roo. All for breeding. I've bred and raised dogs and horses for over 25 yrs. Now I'm ready to breed and raise LOs. I'd like to help in the breeding program, and I certainly would love the help, support and advice of all who are working to create a solid breed.

Many thanks,
Connie
jumpy.gif

Where are you located Connie? I'm in Maryland and I have some started lavenders and black splits. They are 3 - 4 months old.
~Anne

Can someone please tell me how I can get involved in the Lavender Orpington Project?  I've absolutely fallen in love with them, but don't think I'll have my own until Spring...sigh.  I've had various chickens throughout my life (my dad was a partner in a pheasant farm, but we have RIRs and various breeds that were kept on the pheasant farm.  The past 6 yrs or so we've had Americaunas, and I've added cookoo marans, a lt. brahma, leghorn, easter egger, and a gold laced wyandotte roo.  All for breeding.  I've bred and raised dogs and horses for over 25 yrs.  Now I'm ready to breed and raise LOs.  I'd like to help in the breeding program, and I certainly would love the help, support and advice of all who are working to create a solid breed.

Many thanks,
Connie  :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom