Lavender Orpington Thread

I think these are the ones we are keeping, appears to be 2 blues, 1 splash, 1 lavender

Blues

Splash or paint we will see

Lav

This lav will be with the pair I already have, I hope to have enough hens to have some #'s in lav chicks in 2015

I was wondering if anyone had a Lavender Orpington that has a dark comb? I have 2 and one has a very dark, almost black comb.

Is there any chance this is a pullet? I got it from a breeder who says pullet, but I see too much red! Not sure what age it is exactly. What does everyone think?

I was wondering if anyone had a Lavender Orpington that has a dark comb? I have 2 and one has a very dark, almost black comb.

Not sure if you can see it, but the front part of my Lav orp's comb was gray when young. Same with one of my black orps (#1).
In both cases, they are turning red.

Here's the black one at 21 weeks.

Lav Orp at 25 weeks.

Is there any chance this is a pullet? I got it from a breeder who says pullet, but I see too much red! Not sure what age it is exactly. What does everyone think?

A lot may depend on the age. If it's older, then yes, it could be a pullet.

This summer I raised a Coronation Sussex & the small comb turned pink at 4 weeks. I was so disappointed, but now glad I held onto "him." The comb stayed small & certainly looks female today. Although no eggs, I'm sure "he" would be crowing & have a massive comb size by now (age 18 weeks). As I was asking around, I was told by a breeder that the light colored breeds (like my CS) get pink sooner.

Try looking at several Orpington pics online to compare to your chicken. A rooster's headgear grows very quickly, so even if you don't know now, you would see growth within 1-2 weeks for a male. The less change, the more chance for a pullet.

EXAMPLES:
Here is a male in front & female behind him. Both were 7 weeks in the pic. My female didn't get red wattles for a while, but the male was an over-achiever. We knew he was male before he was a month old.

10 weeks female

10 weeks male (excuse the messy beak)

15 weeks female

15 weeks male

Hope this helps a little. I'm still learning myself.

I was wondering if anyone had a Lavender Orpington that has a dark comb?  I have 2 and one has a very dark, almost black comb.
My Princess Leia has black tips on her comb. She is from Meyer Hatchery, & is now 3 months old. She looks like a Lavender should compared to the pics I've seen (I've never seen another in person, though).

just showing my Lydia again, is this like the dark comb?

speaking of spokane just went through- this is Monday morning- Courtyard Marriott view of trail and river- hard to see river.

Last edited:
Lydia has a dark comb, but I wouldn't worry about it. It will redden when she gets closer to laying. I think she has a very sweet face.

Back
Top Bottom