Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

ChicKat

Free Ranging
11 Years
Here is the basis of my project: Cross Cream Legbar with Isabel(aka Isabella, Isabelle, Isabelline) Leghorn. The name "Lavender patterned Isable duckwing - barred" is from Henk's chicken calculator. (Thanks again for the millionth time Henk!)

From the Legbar - the desired genetics are barring genes (to solidify autosexing) and the personality, egg productivity and possibly blue-egg gene (probably since it is dominant) - also the productivity - just at this moment my Legbars are outlaying my Leghorns....

From the Leghorns - the lavender-brown genetics. My Leghorns too (from CJ Waldon and Cree57i chicks) are prettier type, more consistent type and closer to show-quality chickens.

The objective would be an autosexing chicken with Isabelline coloration that has barring added. A productive, thrifty chicken that is less flighty than the Leghorn, and prettier than the Legbar.

That's not too much to ask is it?

Anyone who can give thoughts on the subject is encouraged to do so. In the pens right now are split males with Isabel females -- in the incubator some eggs, and in the brooder lavender chicks some of which may have the barring gene. (because the split males only have 1 barring gene from their Legbar mother)

Last edited:
In the USA Buddy Henry developed the Isabella Leghorn - (when I use Isabel - I'm referring to the same plumage pattern) --- They can be obtained at Cackle Hatchery and from member here on BYC with member name CJWaldon --
ETA - CJWaldon has discontinued Isabel Leghorns to concentrate on the barred + Isabel birds. Pure Isabel and also project bird HATCHING EGGS can be obtained from our BYC Member " hhong3138 " - that's current info as of 5/18.17 - (New BYC can go back and edit old posts)
This from Cackle Hatchery website is the method that the Isabel was derived:

"The Isabella Leghorn was orginated by Buddy Henry and is now offered in baby chicks by Cackle
Hatchery in small quanities. Below is some of Buddy’s breeding history of this beautiful chicken
breed.
2008 Lavender Orpington Male X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery
Result: Black offspring exhibiting gold in hackles & split for lavender, various leg colors, white
earlobes and an overall leghorn appearance. Layer of light tan eggs. Generation 1

2009 Generation 1 Male X Generation 1 Females
Result: 75% Chipmunk Pattern Chicks: Culled from breeding
20% Solid Lavender Chicks: Culled from breeding
5% Isabelle Pattern Chicks: Kept and revealed same type as generation 1 but we now have
generation 2 half orpington, half leghorn

2010 Generation 2 Males X Brown Leghorn Females from Cackle Hatchery Brown Leghorn
Males from Cackle Hatchery X Generation 2 Females
Result: Generation 3 Cross 1 Split for Lavender Generation 3
Cross 2 Split for Lavender
This generation appeared like brown leghorns only darker in color patterns. Pearl legs were
still an issue but earlobes were white and eggs were finally white.

2011 Generation 3 Cross 1 Males X Generation 3 Cross 2 Females Generation 3
Cross 2 Males X Generation 3 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Chipmunk Pattern Culled Same
50% Isabelle Pattern Generation 4
All birds kept and not separated. Product looks done but birds are still 25% Orpington and
very heavy in appearance.

2012 Generation 4 Males X Brown Leghorn Females Don Schrider Show Line Brown
Leghorn Males Don Schrider Line X Generation 4
Result: Generation 5 Cross 1 Generation 5
Cross 2

Generation 5 is a pure brown leghorn in every since of the word. Excellent abundance of white eggs,
large white earlobes and all yellow legs. The only difference is these birds
split for Lavender

2013 Generation 5 Cross 1 Male X Generation 5 Cross Females Generation 5
Cross 2 Males X Generation 5 Cross 1 Females
Result: 50% Pure Brown Leghorns
50% Pure Isabelle Leghorns Same

Today these birds breed true as well as many other ways to get the same result.

Isabelle X Isabelle = 100% Isabelle
Isabelle X Brown Leghorn = 50% Isabelle & 50% Brown Leghorn

These birds meet ALL requirements except for color of the American Poultry Associations Standard of Perfection Manual on a Leghorn."

As you can tell from the above, the breeding took generations. Started in 2009 and successfully completed in 2013.

From that line - here are some of the chickens that I obtained - some from Cree57i and some from CJWaldon:

Isabel - in the background of the photo with the blue tarp to prevent 'fence fighting' is a Legbar.

Female Isabels with split male. The male pictured is the son of the above rooster paired with a Legbar hen.

Last edited:
New hatch of leghorns.
Variety pack. A blue, a lavender, a red, couple buffs and several project color crosses.
20180208_171257-1.jpg

20180208_171245-1.jpg

Yes it was/is?
Hey @ChicKat how about a part two?
Cross those roosters with welsummers and make barred Isabelle olive eggers.
:th
Nooooo You're killing me. :lau:gig:lau. Another project?

I need to go back and verify their ages, but these babies are getting sooo big!
P1070518.JPG

Here's the one that hatched as a loner...and her feed store gold sex-
link roommate:
P1070516.JPG
P1070513.JPG

The six with their hatching 'mom' (one of them is the blur in the lower left corner)
Next, some of

my 9 from the incubator:
P1070511.JPG

It's so hot out there...just scorching...everyone is panting...
P1070510.JPG

The baby on the right is panting, and the baby on the left you can see the 'lavender' color of the eye. Once they reach adulthood the eyes of mine have all turned yellow.

Just got results from Texas A&M Vet diagnostic Lab.

NO MS

That's right no MS was detected in the cockerel that I took there. They gave me swabs to test any other birds. Cost of the test is only $35.

This means that I can happily supply tested chickens to some of you who have been following this thread. More to come.
:wee:yesss::celebrate

RESULTS are back from TRACHAEL SWAB TESTS !!!!!

upload_2018-10-8_18-13-36.png

upload_2018-10-8_18-27-30.png

As you see page 1 of 2 -- Page 2 is just codes like which lab -- if anyone requests, I'' post pg 2.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
:yesss:

Just so glad that these birds tested clean.

It answers questions to the speculations about if there is a way other than necropsy to get the answers. BTW this is the identical test to the one done on the bird that they necropsied.
You have no idea how happy these results make me. Hooray for these birds. NO Mycoplasma.... that's just amazing.
:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya

Last edited:
:wee
Eggs!

The oldest 3 project pullets are all laying. Infact for 3-days in a row, all three produced eggs, then they took a day off, then all three produced eggs again. Color? Well, see for yourself:
P1060468.JPG

Pretty nice eggs.
The picnic table they are on is white -- so this image is a bit blue-ified. (does the table look a little blue to you in this shot? -- maybe it was because it was the 'magic hour'.)
As kikisgirls sig reads..."I just wanted eggs".
ETA -oops, just looked above to see it's changed - it used to say that. ;O)

The phone app reads the color out as hex #7199ad, calls it 'Shakespeare/blue" and read it as Red 44% Green 60% Blue 67%.
http://www.color-hex.com/color/7199ad
probably the third or 4th swatch on the right if you start counting on the white swatch which is hex #ffffff as you can see.
Not bad for beginners.:yesss:
The left-most egg is from the split, and looks greener to my eye (they all look greener when in a different light and off the picnic table...LOL...) Saturation is pretty nice. Strangely the left most is from the split that was raised by the banty - do you think her mom taught her to lay smaller eggs?
:lau

She's been at it a couple of months now. She's the one that produced the huge first egg that was a double yolker and a bit later she produced the triple yolker. She is just going to be a smaller, greener egg-layer I guess.

Not bad little pullets, not bad. Meanwhile, everyone else (just about) is taking time off possibly due to the heat.
remove color cast eggs.jpg

Here are the same eggs, with a photoshop edit to 'remove color cast' - for people familiar with image software. Put the eyedropper icon on the picnic table and say this is 'true white' - and it adjusts the colors accordingly. Picnic table looks a bit yellower/beiger -- and that is probably closer to the visual color of the eggs. You can see the table doesn't look blue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom