Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have chicken loving friends all over.:wee
2X

Also a side note the bird they are saying is a cream legbar (cockerel) -- looks about unrecognizable to me as a CL. Kind of sad what the breed as become IMO (of course that probably makes me a far outlier:rant) since the breed first arrived in the USA in 2011 and became distributed out in 2012--so 6-years of selective breeding has done that to them. :duc

By717KJgXXq

https://www.instagram.com/p/By717KJgXXq/?utm_source=ig_embed
By717KJgXXq

Yes, that Cream Legbar cock is one of the poorer examples of the breed. It is sad that we are seeing examples of that type. I had one of Ice's sons that had a crest-comb combination that I really liked. I was out of coop space so I sold him and I just this year got back to a cockerel that had as good a crest comb combination (I kept that one). There are very very few males that can pull off a combo.

Last edited:
I think you should start a new thread and add a link to this one.
Sometimes when I stubble onto a new thread to me and see it has a ton of pages already I shy away because I don't have time to play catch up through a ton of pages.
You can start a new one and won't have that issue but by adding a link to this one if someone finds it interesting then they can hop over to this one and read away.
Hope that made some sense.
I'm cool with either way but just a thought.

I think you should start a new thread and add a link to this one.
Sometimes when I stubble onto a new thread to me and see it has a ton of pages already I shy away because I don't have time to play catch up through a ton of pages.
You can start a new one and won't have that issue but by adding a link to this one if someone finds it interesting then they can hop over to this one and read away.
Hope that made some sense.
I'm cool with either way but just a thought.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Oh goodness, LOL. 105 pages in the last three days! I've read with great interest as I acquired my first chickens in a loooooong time and they happen to be Isabella Leghorns. This was a great resource. These are stunningly beautiful birds but there is definitely not a whole lot of info around on them and I was pondering starting a thread dedicated to them as I strive to further refine them.

Perhaps they could share a thread with the barred version since, if I'm understanding correctly, the only difference is (or should be) the barring at this point?

The Isabella leghorns were used to create these birds so Kat is familiar with those as well.
The Isabella leghorns are a beautiful bird. They came out in a whirlwind but the craze didn't last long. There's still some around but yes you don't find a lot about them anymore.
You're correct these birds have barring and they also may or may not have the cream gene.

Buddy Henry created the Isabel Lehorns with mentoring from Ron Presley. I haven't been in touch with either of them in about 5 years, but a dedicated thread on the Leghorns would be good. If you can track either of them down they will answer any question that you have. They always were great to work with.

It looks like Cackle Hatchery has the Isabella Leghorns from Buddy Henry now.

Buddy Henry created the Isabel Lehorns with mentoring from Ron Presley. I haven't been in touch with either of them in about 5 years, but a dedicated thread on the Leghorns would be good. If you can track either of them down they will answer any question that you have. They always were great to work with.

It looks like Cackle Hatchery has the Isabella Leghorns from Buddy Henry now.
I think they stopped selling them.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/isabella-leghorn.html

I was pondering starting a thread dedicated to them as I strive to further refine them.
That is such a good idea.
You are 100% correct that these Lav Patterned Isabella Duckwings ARE like the Isabella, or Isabel, or Isabelle....(so many names) with the exception that these are barred.
Hmmm -- would people find it confusing if they were in one thread. I don't think so as long as we are clear somehow just which we are discussing.
And....all the contributors, The Moonshiner, Gary Dean26 and Kiki thanks for the insights.

Soooo HaikuHeritageFarms -- tell us the story of your Isabellas-- how/where did you obtain them? OR -- should I go over and start that new thread right now. Hahaha
I guess maybe next week would be a good time -- and that way we can get some info out there for people who are planning their spring breeding season .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom