Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got results from Texas A&M Vet diagnostic Lab.

NO MS

That's right no MS was detected in the cockerel that I took there. They gave me swabs to test any other birds. Cost of the test is only $35.

This means that I can happily supply tested chickens to some of you who have been following this thread. More to come.
:wee:yesss::celebrate
That’s amazing news! :woot
Unfortunately I won’t be able get any more chickens until I have my own property. :(

Just got results from Texas A&M Vet diagnostic Lab.

NO MS

That's right no MS was detected in the cockerel that I took there. They gave me swabs to test any other birds. Cost of the test is only $35.

This means that I can happily supply tested chickens to some of you who have been following this thread. More to come.
:wee:yesss::celebrate
:woot:woot:woot GREAT NEWS!!!

Yep! Thanks....
I was doing "cartwheels down the hallway" as the old saying goes...and in a hurry to post.

Had said that I would test again before dispersing the flock, and did take a cockerel up to Center, TX to the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. The vet took the little guy at the back door, and inspected him thoroughly and said he shows absolutely zero signs of any illnes/infection. (Clear eyes, no nasal discharge, clean feathers, healthy looking chicken etc. Dr. showed me how to gather the tracheal swab to test, and I brought swabs and medium to test some individual birds without the need to euthanize them (They are in the fridge). The cost would be $35 per test. The PCR was only something like $42.

Isn't that something, a while back in this thread I was speculating on the ability to test without euthanization, and now I have what I need for that right here.

As it will stand, I can individually test the birds that would travel to new home where someone else would have other chickens. As it stands the birds dispersed out have not had other chickens, or had gotten earlier chickens from me. These chicken keepers were neither breeders or showers...just pet chickens, egg layers, backyard keepers. Now that the flock is probably clean, the chickens could safely go to homes with other chickens.

Are you working on any new chicken projects?
No, actually I'm just about to put my wonderful property on the market, and when it sells move to the Pacific North West.....

Mixed emotions because this is the perfect property and as it gets fixed up to sell -- it looks so good, everything is working nearly perfectly.... (that drip in the kitchen sink is fixed, for example)--- it makes the thought of leaving harder.

I need to close the chapter of chicken keeping, at least for now, until I relocate. Then in my now home, I can only have 3 hens. Once out there in Oregon, I may look around for some place rural where I could pick up with breeding again, or partner with someone out there....but for the close foreseeable future it's not going to be breeding, it will just be a couple of egg layers.

Yep! Thanks....
I was doing "cartwheels down the hallway" as the old saying goes...and in a hurry to post.

Had said that I would test again before dispersing the flock, and did take a cockerel up to Center, TX to the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. The vet took the little guy at the back door, and inspected him thoroughly and said he shows absolutely zero signs of any illnes/infection. (Clear eyes, no nasal discharge, clean feathers, healthy looking chicken etc. Dr. showed me how to gather the tracheal swab to test, and I brought swabs and medium to test some individual birds without the need to euthanize them (They are in the fridge). The cost would be $35 per test. The PCR was only something like $42.

Isn't that something, a while back in this thread I was speculating on the ability to test without euthanization, and now I have what I need for that right here.

As it will stand, I can individually test the birds that would travel to new home where someone else would have other chickens. As it stands the birds dispersed out have not had other chickens, or had gotten earlier chickens from me. These chicken keepers were neither breeders or showers...just pet chickens, egg layers, backyard keepers. Now that the flock is probably clean, the chickens could safely go to homes with other chickens.
If I am not mistaken this 35.00 test tests for both MG and MS.
That is great!

That's $35.00 PER bird.
That can get expensive quick.
Actually you can swab multiple birds on one swab to save money. For my part, since I'm talking about breeders, I would want to pay for individual tests, so that paperwork (test result) could apply to that exact individual chicken. Just one of my things.
:highfive:

For me it is more individual chicken level than flock level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom