Layena Feed vs. Southern States 16% Layer

After reading some of these posts, Im curious about the SS feed. I have just bought the Layena feed, and while the eggs are great, my birds dont seem to care for it. Now, they are eating a little more of it ( i recently switched them from crumbles to pelets), but they'd rather forage than eat the Feed. I have 2 acres of safe forage area (my dogs patrol the borders and keep pests away), so I let them forage a few hours a day. I live a little ways north of Louisville KY, about an hours' drive. I'd like to try the SS feed, but dont know where to find it. I usually buy my Layena feed at the local Co-Op. Any ideas where I can find the feed?
Thanks!
D.gif

Another vote for SS feeds. I can get SS's layer pellet for $12.80 right now, vs over $18 for Layena. But not only is it a cost consideration, my birds do far better on it.. Egg and bird size, quantity of eggs, and especially feather condition is much better with SS feeds. My young birds just do so much better on it as well. Plus everyone Eats it and doesnt spill it every which way. Plus, my SS get deliveries every week of their feeds.. Which are processed at a mill 2 hours away.

They also sell a 2 and 3 grain scratch, an organic feed, rock n rooster, medicated/unmedicated start n grow, broiler finisher, all great stuff!

Quote:
Cuccoosnest are you in Kentucky or Indiana? If Kentucky there are Southern States stores in Lagrange and Owenton. In Indiana there are Farm supply stores that carry SS products. In Memphis there is Graf Farm, Laughery Valley Ag Coop has locations in Versailles,Dillsboro and Osgood. Also Country Depot in North Vernon.

Hope that helps!

I have used SS layer but I think my chickens liked the Layena more. Never had any layena tossed about like the SS. Also Layena is the same price in my area. I have never seen old feed at TSC. My only problem with TSC is the way they unload it outside even if it is pouring down rain, which will cause mold. I buy Layena at a locally owned store in Westminster with no problems and the price is less then TSC. Has any one ever tried Blue Seal?

I'm so glad to see this thread! We moved in early Sep, and now TS is closer to us than the SS we used to go to (it's still the closest one) I was wondering if was my imagination or what! Glad to see others have had the same experience w/ Purina vs SS. I need to switch back! Way too much dust in the Purina, and I buy pellets!!! Plus I definitely notice my chickens don't like it as much as they liked the SS store brand! I think my chicken's egg shells are harder on the Purina, but they aren't laying as often as they did on the SS. I thought it was light, but I added a light to my coop, and I'm still barely getting any eggs! My bantams, who are super foragers, are laying way better than my big girls, and my bantams are separated and have no light in their coop!

Oh, and another complaint w/ the Purina? The chick crumbles are almost too big for day old bantams!!! What is up with that? They're huge! SS chick crumbles are a much more manageable size, and despite being ground more finely, I don't think they have any more dust than the Purina does.

When I went to the feed store yesterday they were also carrying Nutrena Chicken food. So on top of layena and SS has anyone tried the new Nutrena food? Does anyone know if its more natural than the layena even? I've always really like the layena and have found it a little powdery. I feed pellets as my chickens are messy pigs so the more powder in my food the bigger mess they make and the more waste. Thinking of trying the Nutrena route though.

i will be trying the southern states laying feed.i have notice that the layena ia more powdery.

I will never use Purina Layena again. I am sure that my girls got sick on it and one of them had a sour crop for 2 months after starting on it. All the girls had diarrhea, sneezed and had runny noses all the time. I switched to Hy-Pro feeds and the symptoms disappeared a few days later.

No more Purina anything for me!

Back
Top Bottom