Lazy Peachick

She weights 2203 kg, surprised to see her sleeping on the perch, she also jumped again on the perch directly after weighing her, but she is still weak and not that strong like before, i noticed her last month not active but then she returned acting normally, i will properly taking her to the vet tomorrow.
My horses never weighed that much.

Maybe June, she is one of the oldest chicks this year.
Last month.
It sounds like cocci or something else other than just parasites. Please let us know what the vet says. Good luck with her.

2203 grams is a little light for one her age, but not too bad. Hopefully it's just coccidiosis and you caught it in time.

-Kathy

2203 grams is a little light for one her age, but not too bad. Hopefully it's just coccidiosis and you caught it in time.

-Kathy
I know why, because i sold her earlier this summer and three months later the buyer want to replace it with bronze peacock and it was a great deal for both of us, when brought her it was small in size, even smaller than younger peas, so i knew it wasn't getting enough protein in her diet, also she had many feathers missing, after giving her better feed here her feathers grown back and she got a lot bigger.

Just got back from vet, he checked her poo sample and it said its not worms and not coccidia, he its a bacterial infection called E.coli(i hope i'm spelling it right), he said she could caught it from another sick bird, after he said that i remembered there was a sick wild pigeon next to their pen few days ago, i threw it away directly after seeing it, he gave me this Sulfa powder to treat her with for 10 days, and other birds for 3 days.

Its 400mg.

Last edited:
q8 you are getting good at spotting a bird that is not feeling well! And that is a good thing. So many people do not pay close enough attention and then they do not realize something is wrong until it is too late. I am sorry you have had a lot of chicks with cocci and now e-coli, that stinks, but the good side is you are developing a keen eye and that insight will save many birds in the future.
thumbsup.gif

q8 you are getting good at spotting a bird that is not feeling well! And that is a good thing. So many people do not pay close enough attention and then they do not realize something is wrong until it is too late. I am sorry you have had a lot of chicks with cocci and now e-coli, that stinks, but the good side is you are developing a keen eye and that insight will save many birds in the future.
thumbsup.gif
Thank you, after the pervious chick got sick and died, i'm now looking at every single bird closely everyday, I know they think I'm crazy LOL, but the problem with spalding birds is they act weirdly not like blue birds, if you know what i mean, sometimes they stand still in their spot and you will think they are sick but after getting closer to them they will jump and run normally!

Last edited:
Thank you, after the pervious chick got sick and died, i'm now looking at every single bird closely everyday, I know they think I'm crazy LOL, but the problem with spalding birds is they act weirdly not like blue birds, if you know what i mean, sometimes they stand still in their spot and you will think they are sick but after getting closer to them they will jump and run normally!

Yes the Spaldings can act differently. Right now the cold temps here have me second guessing. I often see 1 or 2 birds standing with the head pulled in and feathers fluffed, looking just like a sick bird, but they do this when they are cold as well. So I end up going in and getting a closer look and they take off running and act fine, so I attribute it to the cold. But better safe than sorry. I am leaving for a 2 week holiday today and can't help but worry, because there will not be anyone with a "trained eye" to look at them. My bird-sitter is great, but she knows chickens not Peas.

Yes the Spaldings can act differently. Right now the cold temps here have me second guessing. I often see 1 or 2 birds standing with the head pulled in and feathers fluffed, looking just like a sick bird, but they do this when they are cold as well. So I end up going in and getting a closer look and they take off running and act fine, so I attribute it to the cold. But better safe than sorry. I am leaving for a 2 week holiday today and can't help but worry, because there will not be anyone with a "trained eye" to look at them. My bird-sitter is great, but she knows chickens not Peas.
Good luck and have fun, its always hard to leave them, but hoping everything will be alright for them.

Back
Top Bottom