Lazy Peachick

I don't have wormer right now, its almost 2 moths now since last time i wormed them, i have another treat for coccidia, and just put it in their water, it comes with heaped measure, it said add one to 2 liters of water, i guess i will add these antibiotics too, i will try to worm them tomorrow.

The one thing... if what you have for a coccidia treatment is Sulmet or another sulfa antibiotic, I'm not sure you can use Baytril at the same time... but I am not sure. Zaz was just reminding me not to mix Sulfa with Corid (thanks, Zaz!). We need to check with @casportpony , or maybe Zaz knows?

I think it is okay to use Corid (amprolium) and Baytril at the same time.

Here its:

Hmmm, it doesn't tell us what the actual medication is... that might be on the OTHER side of the label.

I searched on the internet and found this, which might be what you have?

PRODUCT
MEDICOX 100G
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

PRESENTATION
100g tub
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

COMPOSITION
Sulphadimethoxine sodium anhydrous 25g
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

SPECIES
BIRDS & POULTRY
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

PRICE
(Billing Currency ZAR)
R 128.36
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

DESCRIPTION

For the prevention and treatment of Coccidiosis in pigeons and cage birds. It is the safest and most effective Sulphonamide available for the treatment of pigeons and cage birds. Highly effective, easy to dose, water-soluble powder. Synergistic action with Mediprim increases spectrum of activity to include treatment of Salmonella and E.Coli.

If that is it, then I believe it is the same as this medication which I have here:

It is very similar to Sulmet, but as I understand it, is considered to be somewhat safer. It is a sulfa antibiotic, which is effective against some strains of coccidia. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN USE THIS AT THE SAME TIME AS BAYTRIL (Enrofloxacin). It might be wise to hold off on the Baytril until morning, or until you can check with @casportpony or @zazouse or someone who knows more than I do about whether those two medications can be given at the same time.

The medication I mentioned before, Amprolium (Corid) works against a broader spectrum of coccidia, but Zaz reminded me earlier, it MUST NOT be given at the same time as this medication that you appear to have. Check the other side of the bottle and see what it says as to the name of the actual ingredient.

This medication that you have will work against some very stubborn coccidia, so using it is a good idea. But if you don't have any amprolium, you might see whether you can find some, since coccidia seems like an absolute plague on your birds... I'm so sorry you keep having to go through this.
hugs.gif

You can use amprolium on a preventative basis, which might be of assistance to you in controlling future outbreaks. Wishing you all the best!

Hmmm, it doesn't tell us what the actual medication is... that might be on the OTHER side of the label.

I searched on the internet and found this, which might be what you have?

PRODUCT
MEDICOX 100G
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

PRESENTATION
100g tub
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

COMPOSITION
Sulphadimethoxine sodium anhydrous 25g
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

SPECIES
BIRDS & POULTRY
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

PRICE
(Billing Currency ZAR)
R 128.36
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

stripe.gif
stripe.gif
stripe.gif

spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif
spaces.gif

DESCRIPTION

For the prevention and treatment of Coccidiosis in pigeons and cage birds. It is the safest and most effective Sulphonamide available for the treatment of pigeons and cage birds. Highly effective, easy to dose, water-soluble powder. Synergistic action with Mediprim increases spectrum of activity to include treatment of Salmonella and E.Coli.

If that is it, then I believe it is the same as this medication which I have here:

It is very similar to Sulmet, but as I understand it, is considered to be somewhat safer. It is a sulfa antibiotic, which is effective against some strains of coccidia. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN USE THIS AT THE SAME TIME AS BAYTRIL (Enrofloxacin). It might be wise to hold off on the Baytril until morning, or until you can check with @casportpony or @zazouse or someone who knows more than I do about whether those two medications can be given at the same time.

The medication I mentioned before, Amprolium (Corid) works against a broader spectrum of coccidia, but Zaz reminded me earlier, it MUST NOT be given at the same time as this medication that you appear to have. Check the other side of the bottle and see what it says as to the name of the actual ingredient.

This medication that you have will work against some very stubborn coccidia, so using it is a good idea. But if you don't have any amprolium, you might see whether you can find some, since coccidia seems like an absolute plague on your birds... I'm so sorry you keep having to go through this.
hugs.gif

You can use amprolium on a preventative basis, which might be of assistance to you in controlling future outbreaks. Wishing you all the best!
Thank you so much, i'm that i don't need to go outside again i'm sooo tired
lau.gif
, Here is the other side:

Thank you so much, i'm that i don't need to go outside again i'm sooo tired
lau.gif
, Here is the other side:

Yes, that is the same stuff I just wrote about. Good. The birds will benefit from it I hope. Yes, meantime you must rest so you can care for them in the morning. It is always a mother's dilemma
D.gif

I will not be able to visit a vet today, or to worm them because i will not get back to home until late night, but i just get pictures for their poop, its so green and don't look normal of course.

Good morning, I hope you were able to get some rest.
Yes, that poo is definitely abnormal. I'm so glad that you noticed your bird's lethargic behavior! By starting the medicine promptly, I think you have a good chance of pulling them though.

Last edited:
Othman, is there any way that you can obtain amprolium? It is widely obtainable here, so if you cannot find it, I can perhaps mail you some. You can use it as a preventative in order to prevent and control outbreaks of coccidia.

As Zaz reminded me yesterday, you can't use amprolium at the same time as the sulfa drug that you are now giving the sick birds, but you can administer it to the rest of your flock, and then use it preventatively in the future. @casportpony can explain this better than I can. She will also probably want permission to use those poo pics on her normal/abnormal poo thread, if you do not mind. One of the biggest benefits to this forum is the ability to communicate helpful information to others.

Coccidia is most dangerous to the young peas, as the adults' immune systems gradually develop the ability to manage coccidia. However peas of any age can become ill from coccidia when there is an outbreak, particularly if they are stressed or ill from some other cause, such as worms or perhaps a respiratory illness.

I hope your birds are beginning to improve, and that no new sick ones have turned up. It would be wise to check poo for the lot of them, and for those not showing signs of illness, treat with amprolium to be safe.

This isn't going to help you right now. If you have access to ebay, I just got albendazole, 72, 400mg tablets for $35. It comes from Indonesia so you can probably get it there. Also, if you put apple cider vinegar in the water of your pea babies until they are adults, or even always, it will cut down on the problems with parasites and cocci. It won't cure them or completely keep them from getting either, but it sure helps. You can't do this when medicating them though.

Back
Top Bottom