Leg band help?

I get the tie started and then pick up the bird hold it like a football with a leg sticking out and just loop it over and then tighten it enough to stay on
Thanks! Again, super helpful. All my experience holding birds has been with my friends- they've given me 'chicken training' where I pick up the birds and look around their coop XD I'll have to ask if I can try to hold them like that.

I think the duct tape will not stay well and would skip it and just use the zip ties. For three birds, I would put one zip tie on one bird, two zip ties on one bird and leave the third with no zip ties.

Once you have the ties on, clip the tail/excess off, right at the square thingie where you feed the tie thru.

If you have someone to help you, I think it would be easier for you, until you are more comfortable. Person 2 can hold the bird, and you put ties on. I try to check the fit of the ties every couple days, when I handle the pullets, just to make sure I don't need to remove it and put a larger one on. First time I put them on, I had to redo some less than a week later, as I didn't leave enough growing room.

Thanks! Again, super helpful. All my experience holding birds has been with my friends- they've given me 'chicken training' where I pick up the birds and look around their coop XD I'll have to ask if I can try to hold them like that.

How old will yours be when you get them? Mine were 10 days old and are now 18 weeks. We learned together...them how to be chickens and me how to be a chicken mom. I just picked them up and refined my technique as they grew. Didn't take me long to realize that I need to hold their wings down, and figure out how to do it, when picking them up to put on their roost.

You'll be fine. You will learn what works or doesn't work for you and them.

Yep, that's what I was gonna do. I didn't know how to get color in a zip tie safely without duck tape-I didn't know how to find paint or anything chicken safe. The fancy colored zip ties that you can buy all come in packs, and the leg bands that I've been able to find singles of come in sizes, which I don't know how to navigate. Just using zip ties and duck tape would mean that I wouldn't have to spend money on them, as I already have these supplies at home. I'm wondering if I put a bit of glue under then end of the duck tape it would be less peck-able?
Crazy glue is pretty awesome stuff. I'm imagining your fingers glued to the leg of a barred rock! If the hens are hard to hold, wrapping their body with a towel or sweatshirt helps a lot. Keeps their wings pinned to their sides. A small towel is fine.

I think the duct tape will not stay well and would skip it and just use the zip ties. For three birds, I would put one zip tie on one bird, two zip ties on one bird and leave the third with no zip ties.

Once you have the ties on, clip the tail/excess off, right at the square thingie where you feed the tie thru.

If you have someone to help you, I think it would be easier for you, until you are more comfortable. Person 2 can hold the bird, and you put ties on. I try to check the fit of the ties every couple days, when I handle the pullets, just to make sure I don't need to remove it and put a larger one on. First time I put them on, I had to redo some less than a week later, as I didn't leave enough growing room.
Which means you need a wire cutter or snip that you can cut zip ties with easily.

This is why I go to this website, everyone else is much smarter than me XD I will do that with the ties (never even thought of using two, wow I am dumb) I will probably have to have my friend help me as none of my family has ever held the birds before, but it's ok because they live just down the street. Do you think that this would be too stressful if we do it the very first day while they're being moved and such? I don't want to stress them out any more if possible.

I get the tie started and then pick up the bird hold it like a football with a leg sticking out and just loop it over and then tighten it enough to stay on
I do this with chicks, doesn't work well on adult birds...but I use 4" zipties.

All my experience holding birds has been with my friends- they've given me 'chicken training' where I pick up the birds
Good you've already handled a bird....and sounds like they could help with holding birds while you put on the tie.

The right tools make it much easier:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/

I do this with chicks, doesn't work well on adult birds...but I use 4" zipties.

Good you've already handled a bird....and sounds like they could help with holding birds while you put on the tie.

The right tools make it much easier:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/
Thanks for the article, super helpful! Yes, I go over there almost every day and sit with their birds...they are adorable and I love them! I've lifted them up and held them before, but not really in a way that would make their legs accessible. I'll have to ask them about that.

Back
Top Bottom