LEG colour dominant/recessive ?

@Amer I had a black copper maran roo (pure breed, feathered legs) over my 2 yr old Blue Egg laying EE hens (none have feathered legs) and got 9 chicks. Only 3 have feathered legs. The 3 that have them, are black and larger then the rest. The rest are yellow, or chipmunk types. (the rest look like EE) How does leg feathering work- I thought it was dominant? Here they are. And why aren't all of their legs dark if the rooster is a Black Copper Marans?

Attachments

• OliveEggerMillbrook.JPG
    OliveEggerMillbrook.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 8
  • OliveEggerMillbrook1.JPG
    OliveEggerMillbrook1.JPG
    616.9 KB · Views: 7
  • OliveEggerMillbrook2.JPG
    OliveEggerMillbrook2.JPG
    528.1 KB · Views: 9
@Amer And I can get yellow legged chick's putting my yellow legged roo over green legged hen's?
Yes
@Amer I had a black copper maran roo (pure breed, feathered legs) over my 2 yr old Blue Egg laying EE hens (none have feathered legs) and got 9 chicks. Only 3 have feathered legs. The 3 that have them, are black and larger then the rest. The rest are yellow, or chipmunk types. (the rest look like EE) How does leg feathering work- I thought it was dominant? Here they are. And why aren't all of their legs dark if the rooster is a Black Copper Marans?
Only the pullets would have dark legs, and those might come later.
That cross might produce only stubby feathers on the legs. I’m a bit more concerned about the color though. That cross should only produce dark chicks. Are you sure no other roosters got in with the EEs?

Yes

Only the pullets would have dark legs, and those might come later.
That cross might produce only stubby feathers on the legs. I’m a bit more concerned about the color though. That cross should only produce dark chicks. Are you sure no other roosters got in with the EEs?
Yes, I'm positive. He was in a pen with 3 hens for a month and they were in there for 2 weeks by them selves before that. The 3 black ones are from one hen (Little Gold coins) the other eggs were from the trio. (I removed her and put her into the holiday pen while continuing to collect eggs from only her (and I marked them LGC so I know the black chicks are hers- she was getting rooster damage.)

Ok I went back to my calendar. I moved 3 hens into a pen on their own (from a pen with flock who's roo is a CLB). Three days later I added BCM rooster). They were together 17 days before I started collecting eggs. I collected eggs for a week. Then on 8th day moved hen Little Gold Coins out into a holiday pen because she had flesh showing on her shoulders (she's everyone fav). Collected 3 more eggs from her over the next 3 days, and those are the black chicks.
Does this mean that the 6 other chicks are all fertilized by my CLB rooster?? UGH. After 20 or more days?? I suck at this.

Is there NO POSSIBLE WAY for a BCM rooster over a blue laying EE (that has a lot of CLB in her) can make a yellow chick??

Is that the same for the reverse? What colour chicks will a CLB rooster over a BCM hen make?

Last edited:
Ok I went back to my calendar. I moved 3 hens into a pen on their own (from a pen with flock who's roo is a CLB). Three days later I added BCM rooster). They were together 17 days before I started collecting eggs. I collected eggs for a week.
He sounds like your culprit.
Is there NO POSSIBLE WAY for a BCM rooster over a blue laying EE (that has a lot of CLB in her) can make a yellow chick??
Only if she has Columbian and ginger, I think. Cream Legbars have neither. EEs have those genes but rarely. So I bet it’s the CLB.

@Amer -If I post photos of the hens would you be able to tell me? I really really want to get to the bottom of this.

Ok great. SO.. Little Gold Coins is the darker feathered bird in the top two photos. She is gold and black, white earlobes (I think she has lots of Legbar in her?) and Queenie is the caramel/ginger coloured bird behind her and in 3rd photo. she has a rose comb. (flat with little spikes up all over it). They are hatch mates but I didn't keep records of who actual parents are. Notice the white earlobes, like CLB. They were born here from my hens and roosters in 2019. The 3rd is Kermit- (green legs) she is a purchased EE from a hatchery.
They all lay blue eggs (not green) so I had the 3 in with my BCM roo. 9 chicks hatched.
3 are black (like penguins Marans types) and the others are those yellow chicks in the photos. I labelled most of LGC eggs because I separated her part way thru collecting for hatch.

I am really hoping you think that mated with a BCM, these hens could produce all the chicks in above photo.

Attachments

• LGC_Queenie.JPG
    LGC_Queenie.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 7
  • LGC.JPG
    LGC.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 6
  • Queenie.JPG
    Queenie.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 6
  • KERMIT.JPG
    KERMIT.JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ok great. SO.. Little Gold Coins is the darker feathered bird in the top two photos. She is gold and black, white earlobes (I think she has lots of Legbar in her?) and Queenie is the caramel/ginger coloured bird behind her and in 3rd photo. she has a rose comb. (flat with little spikes up all over it). They are hatch mates but I didn't keep records of who actual parents are. Notice the white earlobes, like CLB. They were born here from my hens and roosters in 2019. The 3rd is Kermit- (green legs) she is a purchased EE from a hatchery.
They all lay blue eggs (not green) so I had the 3 in with my BCM roo. 9 chicks hatched.
3 are black (like penguins Marans types) and the others are those yellow chicks in the photos. I labelled most of LGC eggs because I separated her part way thru collecting for hatch.

I am really hoping you think that mated with a BCM, these hens could produce all the chicks in above photo.
Do you have buff Orpingtons that could be the mothers of these hens? Otherwise I really think the cream Legbar is responsible.

Back
Top Bottom