LEG colour dominant/recessive ?

There are two genes that effect leg color. (Other genes that effect the plumage may effect them as well.)
w =yellow legs.
id+ =dermal melanin (A sex-linked gene, meaning females only get one copy.)
The plus sign + means wild type.
If the letters are uppercase they are dominant and the above genes are “turned off.”
Slate legs= W+W+id+id+
White legs= W+W+IdId
Yellow legs= wwIdId
Green legs= wwid+id+
I tried to explain it as well as I could. Need me to explain anything else?

So you're saying its not as simple as one bird has yellow legs the other has green legs so offspring will have all green. or 50% green, or something like that. Seems more complicated than I was hoping. LOL
I have a green legged rooster. His genetics are a bit of a mystery since I bought him as an egg but was told his dad was a blue egg layer and mom a pure Speckled Sussex.
But he is lighter coloured and green legged.. I was hoping if I mated him to my lighter hens I may end up with some colouring aspect that will help me determine gender. I seriously seem to get 65 % male at every hatch for the passed 3 years. :idunno

So you're saying its not as simple as one bird has yellow legs the other has green legs so offspring will have all green. or 50% green, or something like that. Seems more complicated than I was hoping. LOL
I have a green legged rooster. His genetics are a bit of a mystery since I bought him as an egg but was told his dad was a blue egg layer and mom a pure Speckled Sussex.
But he is lighter coloured and green legged.. I was hoping if I mated him to my lighter hens I may end up with some colouring aspect that will help me determine gender. I seriously seem to get 65 % male at every hatch for the passed 3 years. :idunno
It’s not super complicated.
He must be wwid+id+ which means when bred to non-slate-legged, non-green-legged hens you’ll get dark legged pullets and light legged cockerels. The only problem is the pullets might developed leg pigmentation only after they hatch.

What does this mean? I'm trying to learn all I can about genetics. Thank you!
It means it isn’t a mutation. It is what original red junglefowl had. They have slate W+W+id+id+ legs.
I'm curious about this also, so I'll follow along. I would be doing the opposite though with a yellow legged roo over green leg hen.
That wouldn’t work the same. You’d get all yellow leg offspring. (Unless the yellow legged cock carried id+.) The cockerels would carry the dermal melanin gene, but you wouldn’t be able to tell them from the cock.

I have some silkie crosses that just hatched. Father is silkie, mother is ameraucana/BCM cross (grey legs). Just verifying I would not be able tell genders by leg colors with these?
Thanks!😊

It’s not super complicated.
He must be wwid+id+ which means when bred to non-slate-legged, non-green-legged hens you’ll get dark legged pullets and light legged cockerels. The only problem is the pullets might developed leg pigmentation only after they hatch.
so if I use my green legged rooster and yellow, pink, white or any other leg coloured hen (not slate or green) I will be able to tell gender at hatch, or after they hatch (meaning--by day 3/4/5?)

so if I use my green legged rooster and yellow, pink, white or any other leg coloured hen (not slate or green) I will be able to tell gender at hatch, or after they hatch (meaning--by day 3/4/5?)
Either one. It really depends upon the individuals you are working with, which can be frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom