Leghorn Thread

Brown leghorns are easy to sex once they start getting feathered in. Males and females look totally different. Pullets have reddish breasts and cockerels have black breasts anong other differences.
Yes they sound like typical leghorns. That "flightyness" is one of the things I like best about them. We free range and that awareness and ready for flight is what has kept them alive more so then any other breeds ive had.

Brown leghorns are easy to sex once they start getting feathered in. Males and females look totally different. Pullets have reddish breasts and cockerels have black breasts anong other differences.
Yes they sound like typical leghorns. That "flightyness" is one of the things I like best about them. We free range and that awareness and ready for flight is what has kept them alive more so then any other breeds ive had.
Ditto... I have both Single Comb White and Rose Comb Dark Brown. I had a white female (Houdini) who would not stay in any coop I put her in. She may have been wise but unfortunately she disappeared. No sign of her anywhere. I kind of suspect a hawk eventually got her because there was one hanging around when she vanished.

Pretty happy.

I had put all of my standard sized chicken breeds together, done with the breeding season.

Well, kids didn't collect eggs from under one hen. (Over a month after all breeds were put together ).

Well....they were partially incubated when I found them, so I put them in the incubator.

The eggs have started hatching. One of the white eggs hatched a chick that looks just like a pure bred dark brown Leghorn!

I have been playing with the genetics calculator, and I am thinking it must be purebred.

Can someone tell me if you agree?

White egg laying hens:
White Leghorn
Dark brown Leghorn
Chamois Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Males:
Black Americana
Blue Americana
Chamois Appenzeller Spitzhauben
Dominique
Dark Brown Leghorn

So....if chick looks like a dark brown Leghorn...it must be a pure bred one...right?

Correct.
I can't see how it could be a combo of any other of the others you listed. Or any of them crossed with a brown leghorn either.

IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
I have just recently started raising my back yard birds. I acquired this leghorn while out at a yard sale. This bird is what started me wanting to raise chickens. Although quite mean I have grown very fond of him and hand feed him daily. My question to everyone is how old can he be? Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom