Leghorns

red, I love my leghorns too. I always have at least one in my small flock.
Here is Miss Piggy at the back door begging for treats. Along with my red sex link. :)

Thanks A.T. for confirming my suspicions. I've inquired with the hatchery twice and provided these same photos, and both times they said male Leghorns grow faster than female Leghorns. I weighed the two suspect birds again yesterday. One gained 5 ounces and the other 4 ounces is just two days. I'm now convinced they are not Leghorns, which means I have no male Leghorns. Oh well, I guess we'll get a some yummy meals in a few weeks. I understand mistakes happen. I just don't appreciate the hatchery being evasive about it.
how many weeks does it take so they be full grown to lay eggs or to be eaten?

Thats 540 eggs in 45 days,
lol thats alot of eggs. my family couldnt eat that much eggs.
lol.png

I gave 5 dozen away this weekend....I gotta get people hooked before I charge lol "first high is freee lol"

I have a tiny flock (5 chickens) and received an "extra" chicken from the hatchery that turned out to be a leghorn. ... I've read that their flighty behavior is typical to her breed so why would someone want 30 of them?... My chicken is crazy!!
....Someone give me some pros on the leghorns, please!!
What you see as flighty behavior, others see as dynamic 'chickenism. ' White Leghorns are more active, forage better, are capable of finding more of their own food and can escape from danger better than any other commercial laying breed. I maintain that what you see as "flighty" is in fact an inbred leghorn trait that allow them to lay more eggs on a smaller amount of expensive chicken food than any of the what I sometimes refer to as the "pet breeds" of chickens. Besides the flighty behavior is in fact a good form of exercise that helps leghorns stay healthy for longer than other commercial breeds. As the following link mentions the straight comb pearl leg White Leghorn hen dominates egg production in all areas of the world where white exterior shell eggs are preferred over eggs with a brown exterior shell.
http://www.aeb.org/egg-industry/egg-production-and-consumption/factors-that-influence-egg-production

Like everything else in life you pays your money and you takes your chances. On average it requires 4 pounds of chicken feed to produce one dozen (12) large hen eggs in commercial egg operations. Leghorn hens eat slightly less than 4 pounds, some brown egg laying breeds eat significantly more food for every dozen eggs produced. That averages to 12.5 dozen eggs for every 50 pound bag of chicken food.

Breeds that lay brown eggs are somewhat less efficient at feed conversion which is the reason that brown eggs in the grocery store cost more $$$$$ than white eggs even though the interior of every hen egg is white and the exterior shell of all hen eggs is also white up until about 90 minutes before it is laid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom