Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
Don,

I can empathize with you regarding the Bobcat. We live in the backcountry of North County San Diego. Two years ago in the fall, we lost 31 chickens to a Bobcat. We were just sick. I was ready to cash it in, too....

I also raise MF D'uccle & Black Mottled if you would like eggs or started birds. I ship both. Here is a link to some pics of my birds....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277144

If you are ever interested, just PM me & we can talk.

Merry Christmas!

PS. I used to manage a Guest Ranch in Mountainair, NM.

Quote:
Good info, Don!

So, help us out here...you said the brown reds get bred back to a blue or blue splash.

What about the lemon blues? Back to a blue or blue splash???

I know this is totally off topic, (or maybe not since you posted pics
smile.png
) but Katie doesn't look like a chug. She looks pure chihuahua. I don't see the "pushed in" pug muzzle, she's got a thin body, her ears are standing straight, so I was just wondering. Maybe I just haven't seen enough chugs to be asking this question. Do you have a pic of her parents or siblings? I had to keep staring at the pics. I wasn't gonna ask just in case it came off as rude (which I hope it didn't) but it would have definitely drove me nuts not to ask. Just curious. She's adorable either way!
big_smile.png

Quote:
From my understanding, to get what people call a "true" lemon-blue you need to cross a brown-red to a blue or a splash.

Any way you slice it, "lemon-blue" is nothing more than a crossing of two colors. You will not get 100% lemon-blue, no matter what you do, at least at this point in Cochin color genetics. One of the main reasons is that blue is a cross from a black and splash, it's a hybrid color. Even if you breed a lemon-blue back to a lemon-blue you will always end up with a % of chicks that will take on the different aspects of the colors used to create lemon-blue.

Our bluffs are not bred with a brown-red to a splash. But we do end up with what I consider to be a very nice coloring. Either way, we like 'em!

Hope this helps some.

Don

You can get 100% lemon blues from one cross. If you take a Lemon Blue Sport (Splash from a true lemon blue breeding group) to a brown red all the offspring would be True lemon blues, so you can get 100% true lemon blues from a cross. Unlike the "bluff" things

Quote:
When you say "sport" would you define that for me. I'm completely confused about how that term is being used. I thought a sport was a TOTAL mutation of a gene. Is that how you're using it, or something else?

Quote:
When you say "sport" would you define that for me. I'm completely confused about how that term is being used. I thought a sport was a TOTAL mutation of a gene. Is that how you're using it, or something else?

Sport / Lemon Blue Splash like the one below: When bred to Brown Red hens will produce 100% Lemon Blues

7576_lbs.jpg

Last edited:
OK, but am I being dense or missing the obvious? What is he genetically? a mutation, or some kind of doubling or "building" of genes? In other words, can he be reproduced?
BTW he is drop dead gorgeous. He looks like an advanced form of a "Candy Corn" project or whatever it's called now.
hu.gif

Quote:
All he is genetically is a lemon blue roo with 2 copies of the blue gene. Yes, he can be reproduced...just like the splash from your typical blue genetics. If you breed the roo in the pic above to lemon blue hens you will get 50% Lemon Blue and 50% sport/splash lemon blue.
wink.png

Thank you for the compliment
smile.png

Here is the break down of Lemon Blue

Brown Red x Lemon Blue = 50% Brown Reds & 50% Lemon Blue
Lemon Blue X Lemon Blue = 25% Brown Reds, 50% Lemon Blue, 25% Sport/Splash Lemon Blue
Lemon Blue X Sport/Splash Lemon Blue = 50% Lemon Blue & 50% Sport/Splash Lemon Blue
Sport/Splash Lemon Blue X Sport/Splash Lemon Blue = 100% Sport/Splash Lemon Blue

I am not sure how many generation it would take to make Lemon Blues by breeding Brown Red to Blue, this would be a outcross to Blue bird(aka a diluted Black bird).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom