Lethargic chicken

tracey cooper

Hatching
Sep 17, 2017
Looking for any advice, I got some old hens from someone who just wanted rid because they weren't laying enough eggs for them so no idea how old the hens are. We just wanted some hens as pets and if we got eggs then it would be a bonus. One of the hens has become really lethargic the last couple of days so I've brought her into an indoor stable and after following advice checked to see if her vent was clear. There was a blockage of what seemed like grit came out, followed by a lot of watery fluid. Now there is blood also coming from the vent. I was extremely careful not to push hard or hurt her inside but am really worried for her, I don't want her to suffer and am wondering how long I let this go on for. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

It doesn't sound good. Generally when a hen starts going downhill it can be hard to stop. I'm not sure if you should have done an internal exam, not something I've ever done. If she doesn't improve in a few days I would cull her unfortunately.

How is she doing now? I am hoping she feels better now that the blockage has cleared? Is she eating, drinking, pooping? I have read, though can't remember if it was hear or elsewhere, that olive oil can help clear a blockage. If you aren't very clear on how to give it with a syringe, I definitely would not. But maybe little pieces of bread soaked in olive oil? Does this seem reasonable to the experts?

Unfortunately she hasn't eaten or drank anything for a couple of days now, not that I have seen anyway. Im hoping it was the blockage making her feel unwell and have everything crossed she will perk up today. I will try her in a warm soak but if not I think its probably more humane to have her put to sleep?

I recently had this same problem with one of my polish hens , she couldn't hold her head up or stand . I took her into a medical are I have and simply held her while giving her a healthy dose of apple cider vinegar water from a syring, take away any food to prevent further blockage. And ofcourse spoil her with a little heat lamp , after 3 days of this she perked up and is healthy again .

Back
Top Bottom