Lets see photagraphy

Pics
I'm really enjoying this thread and everyone's pictures. I used to work at a professional photo lab, and these are WAY better than about 96% of the ones I used to see!

I won't be posting many of my own though... I have an iphone SE, so nothing much for a camera. My "real" camera is so old, it uses film! Yeah, I'm old.
Cool. Any advice for us amateurs? XD

Any photographers out there? Amateur photographers and professionals welcome to share what ever pics they want to share here. Landscape, people, buildings, sky, Sunset, animal, it's all welcome.
brahma and silkie chickens

Attachments

• IMG_20220213_174353_236.jpg
    IMG_20220213_174353_236.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 152676984_230554275462080_8714960370639334546_o (1).jpg
    152676984_230554275462080_8714960370639334546_o (1).jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 1
Cool. Any advice for us amateurs? XD
Sure!

My number one complaint was pictures being out of focus. I can think of ONE photo that was STUNNING, even though it was not quite sharp, because it was such a strong image. We printed it 100s, if not 1000s of times, and the photographer made a ton of money on it.

I can think of another photo that was total CRAP because it was sooo out of focus. It was dad walking his daughter down the aisle. Once-in-a-lifetime shot, totally ruined.

Most of what everyone had posted has been outdoors, ie, "natural" light, aka, daylight. The light indoors can be very different in color, as well as intensity, unless you're using flash. Incandescent light is yellow, and some fluorescent light is greenish. Digital cameras usually have something called "white balance," which compensates for that. I saw a lot of pictures of newborn babies taken in hospitals, so the lighting was not great to begin with, and the green tinge from the fluorescent lighting didn't help. Check your white balance.

There's something called "the rule of thirds."
https://www.google.com/search?q=the...i57j0i512l9.9211j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Think of the picture divided into 9 parts: 3 across and 3 down. Those dividing lines, and especially the intersections, are where the eye naturally looks, so put important parts of the picture there. What are the important parts of the picture? Often with people and animals, it's their eyes.

Another thing about eyes. People and animals need "somewhere to look" in a picture. I saw a lot of pictures of people staring right at the border of the print. It got to be a joke at work. We'd put something on the table next to the picture and say, "here's little Joey, looking at the stapler." (Ok, maybe you had to be there, but we laughed.)

Remind me to explain "depth of field" later, if you want to know what that is.

Sure!

My number one complaint was pictures being out of focus. I can think of ONE photo that was STUNNING, even though it was not quite sharp, because it was such a strong image. We printed it 100s, if not 1000s of times, and the photographer made a ton of money on it.

I can think of another photo that was total CRAP because it was sooo out of focus. It was dad walking his daughter down the aisle. Once-in-a-lifetime shot, totally ruined.

Most of what everyone had posted has been outdoors, ie, "natural" light, aka, daylight. The light indoors can be very different in color, as well as intensity, unless you're using flash. Incandescent light is yellow, and some fluorescent light is greenish. Digital cameras usually have something called "white balance," which compensates for that. I saw a lot of pictures of newborn babies taken in hospitals, so the lighting was not great to begin with, and the green tinge from the fluorescent lighting didn't help. Check your white balance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...i57j0i512l9.9211j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Think of the picture divided into 9 parts: 3 across and 3 down. Those dividing lines, and especially the intersections, are where the eye naturally looks, so put important parts of the picture there. What are the important parts of the picture? Often with people and animals, it's their eyes.

Another thing about eyes. People and animals need "somewhere to look" in a picture. I saw a lot of pictures of people staring right at the border of the print. It got to be a joke at work. We'd put something on the table next to the picture and say, "here's little Joey, looking at the stapler." (Ok, maybe you had to be there, but we laughed.)

Not sure where the white balance is on my phone. I can edit the brightness of the pic though.

Not sure where the white balance is on my phone.
I don't know if mine has it either.

On digital cameras, a sensor analyzes the light and adjusts for any color shift that is present, like the yellow from incandescent light. So when you look at the picture, it might look a little "warm," but the colors "read" correctly in you brain.

If you don't use the white balance, the colors are all skewed toward yellow, because that's what color the light is.

Back in the days of film, it took blue filters over the lens, or special film to fix this. Film records what is there, not what you think you see.

Sure!

Great tips! I would like to add that I recommend getting down to eye-level with an animal.

Back
Top Bottom