Lets talk about goats!

Can you worm a goat n give them b12 at the same time I have a new male n he is very hard to catch will he be ok if I give him both

Can you worm a goat n give them b12 at the same time I have a new male n he is very hard to catch will he be ok if I give him both

First questions.... Have you had a fecal done and know what wormer you need to use (if at all) and v why does he need b12?

B12 can help them recover from a bad worm load. I would just follow the dosage on the bottle plus a bit. We don't fecal, not everyone has access to vets that know goats, we go by pale gums and eyelids, and looking scruffy, or a cough for lung worms.

Last edited:
Yes he needs to b wormed I got it done by my vet n the lady I bought him from said to give it to him bc he comes from a b12 def place she lost the doe she had from b12 def my vet told me to give him b12 bc it wouldn't hurt him

Last edited:
B12 can help them recover from a bad worm load. I would just follow the dosage on the bottle plus a bit. We don't fecal, not everyone has access to vets that know goats, we go by pale gums and eyelids, and looking scruffy, or a cough for lung worms.

You don't have to have access to a vet to do a fecal. You can either invest in the equipment and do it your self (larger up front investment) or send them off to http://www.midamericaagresearch.net top have them done for $5 a sample. Fecals are the best way to ensure your goats are getting the wormer they need (or not getting what they don't) and we aren't creating parasites resistant to workers. Rough coats and a cough have many many other reasons to appear besides worms. I think we can all agree we'd rather not give our goats more than necessary. :)

I know what B12 is for. A normal goat with a well functioning rumen produces all the B12 it needs, and we don't need to give it to them just because. I'm sorry (to the OP) if my questions came off sounding rude. There are a lot of people out there that just throw stuff at their goats because Google said they should. So that's why I always ask before I give an answer. I'm really glad you got a fecal done!! Kudos to you for taking that important step in keeping your goats healthy. If your buck is anemic, then for sure give him some B12. He might require more than one dose if he is very anemic. The B vitamins are water soluable, so they just pee out what they don't need. You might also check into getting a cobalt block if your in a deficient area for long term help in that area.

Which version of b12 are you giving? If you got it as a prescription, your vet needs to give you the dosage.

that's the one I bought my vet charges me 10 per goat so not bad
I felt bad for him that's y I bought him he's in rough shape but doing better since I got him I bought the 2 goats she had to give them a better life I now have 4 rescuse goats all together

Back
Top Bottom